Why become a member? ×

Favourite Bass Guitar Designs

PatrickJ

Inspired by the ongoing debate in the Ashdown Basses thread on what does not make an original or pleasing design of Bass Guitar I'm keen to hear the opinion of the Basschat collective on what our favourite unique bass guitar designs actually are.

Pictures and reasons please, only rule is it can't be a Jazz or Precision based.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I prefer a Jazz to a Precision, however in the bigger scheme of things I wouldn't call either "a good looking bass".

Personally I think the design on the Bass Collection Nanyo has a lot going for it.

The Bass Collection SGC Nanyo MIJ Precision Bass

Love the body shape, however the headstock is a bit dated.

The Spector/ Warwick design is another favourite, the curved body IMO was a great innovation.

Second Hand Spector NS-2000/4

Again, IMO there are "classic lines" in design. When we designed my Psilos Bass one of my cues was having the top volute flow into the lower.

_MG_2313.thumb.JPG.d6e6e81148bd7b7e4aab8f70f7615e66.JPG

You can see this design cue on the Warwick Dolphin and several of the Ritter designs which influenced the final shape.

image.jpeg.945c1d88f6f58dc3f96e990ca8ca0317.jpegRitter R8Ritter RaptorRitter Porsch

Ritter Jupiter

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Love Thunderbirds @Bluewine absolutely adore the feel and sound.

I look stupid with one around my neck.

So do I , but I don't let that stop me

My current no 1 is one of these and I love everything about the design

epiphone-thunderbird-vintage-pro-alpine-

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 3

I reckon my Frankenstein 'Honcore' bass ticks all my boxes for form and function.  I love the symmetry of a double cutaway.  The neck of a Hondo II H1015 spliced into the body of a cheapo Encore.  32" scale, black body no scratchplate, maple neck, passive Entwistle P pickup, all in at 3.1kgs.   Just about to get a secondhand Fender Custom shop 62 pup, which will increase the total spend by about 25% :) 

Of course, ask me next month and my answer will be different :) 

IMG_20191204_134909.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1