Why become a member? ×

Cable Wraps

Count Bassy

What do you people think are the best cable wraps for holding cable rolls together?

I've been using the velcro ones, which are great in that they stay attached to the cable itself, and also hold pretty well in use. The annoying thiig is how they keep sticking to themselves and others in the box when you dont want them to. I was looking at the rubber "Rapstrap" type things, but those don't seem to be permanently attachable to a cable.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Edited by Count Bassy
General typing malfunction and brain failure

For my bass cables (from 6' to 30') and the band mic cables we use the D'Addario PW-ECT-10 elastic cable ties. They clip to the cable and stretch to fit the coil. I've been using these for several years with no problems and no fails. They fit most cables except for very thick ones and they stay on the cable well.

3 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

For my bass cables (from 6' to 30') and the band mic cables we use the D'Addario PW-ECT-10 elastic cable ties. They clip to the cable and stretch to fit the coil. I've been using these for several years with no problems and no fails. They fit most cables except for very thick ones and they stay on the cable well.

These??? I hadn't seen these before.

planet-waves-1-4-elastic-cable-ties-(10-

• Like 1

Roughly speaking, about half a dozen thicknesses. 

The trouble with these is that there has to be enough thickness in the coil to put stress on the elastic so that it grips the hook, so not good on either short cables or longer cables with big coils. At the other extreme, if you try to use them on thick coils you have to stretch them so far that the hard plastic bit can ping out of your fingers and give your knuckles a naty wallop.

They're a good, simple design but I found them too fiddly at the breakdown after a 3-hour gig, plus my bandmates found them really easy to lose.

I use mainly these, some in black and some in white to cater for all colours of cable:

https://www.toolstation.com/hook-loop-cable-tie/p79844?store=R1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdV1eXdLzI38v6DNgmi5ZiWBB-2MzHhnZpWzzTIdgL_NtikjUTzcN1EaAj7-EALw_wcB

They cost 20p each and last for years. Even the most ham-fisted guitarist will find them difficult to destroy. At gigs, simply velcro them to any handy piece of carpet (like ... erm ... the floor) and they can't blow away or be accidentally kicked under the fag machine. If there's no carpet, velcro them to each other so that you end up with a biggish, highly visible ball of velcro ties.

For tiny cables (like wall-warts and some computer cable) I use these instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multiware-50-Piece-Fastening-Reusable-Adjustable/dp/B077FKJD4C/ref=asc_df_B077FKJD4C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231965104222&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4828190177750154515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045963&hvtargid=pla-683052776353&psc=1

They cost 7p each and actually live on the cable, so they're not likely to get lost. The colour coding can come in handy too. I use these extensively inside racked equipment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Those are pretty well what I use at the moment, but they tend to stick to each other too much in the box of cables (talking PA cables here). Probably not problem if you  have one or two instument bales in your Bass bag/case.

18 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

No, me neither. What sort of cable diameter range will they clip to?

And congratulations to everybody who managed to decypher my original post!

They usually come free with Planet Waves leads so whatever diameter they are. They will wrap twice round a 30foot PW lead keeping them nice and secure.  i love them. They stay on the amp end of the cable and give a useful loop for keeping that end of the lead hanging in the right place till I plug it in. 

I use these or similar -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100x-Professional-Reusable-Cable-Ties/dp/B073WVS45S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=10K0S00X4GH6O&keywords=reusable+cable+ties+200mm&qid=1582219594&s=diy&sprefix=Reusable+Cable+Ties%2Cdiy%2C271&sr=1-5

- plastic cable ties that can be undone and cost a few pence each. They don't stick to each other and at the end of a gig, the number of cable ties attached to the back of my rig tells me how many cables I need to find and pack.

David

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I use these or similar -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100x-Professional-Reusable-Cable-Ties/dp/B073WVS45S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=10K0S00X4GH6O&keywords=reusable+cable+ties+200mm&qid=1582219594&s=diy&sprefix=Reusable+Cable+Ties%2Cdiy%2C271&sr=1-5

- plastic cable ties that can be undone and cost a few pence each. They don't stick to each other and at the end of a gig, the number of cable ties attached to the back of my rig tells me how many cables I need to find and pack.

David

Yup, I use those too. An added bonus...we, erm..., use them at work...

38 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I use these or similar -

David

I like the look of these 👍

I use this style of velcro ties:

https://www.hookandloop-direct.co.uk/fastna-hook-loop-cable-ties-tidies

I got pack of 50 about 12 years ago, and still have 20 odd left. Gave some away, a few got lost or nicked, but those that remain still work just fine.

I actually got them for nowt, as well! There was a fault with the companies web shop, which I pointed out to them, and they sent me the order for free, by way of thanks.