Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan, aja, where's the good bit?

spectoremg

On 18/02/2020 at 16:03, casapete said:

. ( And please don't mention 'The Nightfly' or I'll really lose it....)

A housemate bought this in about 1987 and I dismissed it as radio 2 stuff.   But hang on, the harmonies, the playing ( all extra good session musos) .. it's really tight and the lyrics are fun too.   Now a top 2 West Coast smooth rock favourite .. can't buy a thrill being the other.  Kamakiriad ... not so much.

This thread has changed my mind a lot. I didn't like them. Now I still don't like them, but I like their songs better than I did (as long as somebody else is performing them).

Nobody should care about that other than me.

I might buy a set of #13th notes for my bass so I can jam along with it a bit. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

This thread has changed my mind a lot. I didn't like them. Now I still don't like them, but I like their songs better than I did (as long as somebody else is performing them).

This is what I can't bear - Steely Dan tribute acts. I've had my arm twisted into seeing one in the past (a friend was singing BVs with them) and it was hideous. The band were all great players individually, but it was grooveless, anodyne, and smug (look at us, aren't we hip) and these guys weren't even listening to each other. Full-on fret w@nk. I made excuses and left before my head exploded.

You shouldn't tinker with perfection, IMHO. I'd even go as far as to say certain songs and even some artists just shouldn't be covered full stop. I won't start an argument by naming them, but suffice to say I have a list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowregisterhead said:

Steely Dan tribute acts.(look at us, aren't we hip)

Hip? Only if they subscribe to this doctrine:

😄

Though perhaps retro-cheese is just as hip as cassettes (*) in these crazy days!

* saying that. a m8 of mine sent me his new album the other day. On cassette... I asked him how he expected me to play it - he said push the side and the usb connector will pop out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

This is what I can't bear - Steely Dan tribute acts. I've had my arm twisted into seeing one in the past (a friend was singing BVs with them) and it was hideous. The band were all great players individually, but it was grooveless, anodyne, and smug (look at us, aren't we hip) and these guys weren't even listening to each other. Full-on fret w@nk. I made excuses and left before my head exploded.

You shouldn't tinker with perfection, IMHO. I'd even go as far as to say certain songs and even some artists just shouldn't be covered full stop. I won't start an argument by naming them, but suffice to say I have a list.

I've seen many SD tributes and I have found that too..... and for all their smugness they don't get the parts right.

However, the best one I've seen is 'Stanley Dee'. Their guitarist, Darren, is a monster! He nails EVERY solo (notes, feel & tone), regardless of original player or style..... and the singer is having so much fun you lose yourself in the grooves and the music :)

Edited by cetera

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

Oh go on, start another thread. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:.

We need to see that list...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cetera said:

I've seen many SD tributes and I have found that too..... and for all their smugness they don't get the parts right.

However, the best one I've seen is 'Stanley Dee'. Their guitarist, Darren, is a monster! He nails EVERY solo (notes, feel & tone), regardless of original player or style..... and the singer is having so much fun you lose yourself in the grooves and the music :)

As promising as that sounds, I'll have to pass. I was once even offered tickets to see the real Steely Dan live, and turned them down because I was convinced that on some level I would be disappointed! Like I said, you shouldn't tinker with perfection... 🙂

4 hours ago, EMG456 said:

We need to see that list...

I don't think it's worth the grief. If people can get apoplectic about Yorkshire tea, I can't imagine what would happen. I don't mind being a closet musical fascist, but I'm not putting my head above the parapet. The internet would probably implode.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fleabag said:

For those not bored with SD tribs, this band were amongst the best. Hank Easton sounds like he could have been Dean Parks on the track.

This is old footage from the 90's of Steely Damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0kNg-pLwI4

Sorry, the bird in the pearls needs a slap. And the drummer needs a metronome. The guitarist is great though...

Edited by lowregisterhead

28 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

I don't think it's worth the grief. If people can get apoplectic about Yorkshire tea, I can't imagine what would happen. I don't mind being a closet musical fascist, but I'm not putting my head above the parapet. The internet would probably implode.

Oh go on- pm it to me and I can “leak” It quoting a “trusted source” 😂

• Haha 1