Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan, aja, where's the good bit?

spectoremg

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

There’s a sort of defensiveness one encounters during discussions of this sort. It goes along the lines of making assumptions about the skills and tastes of people that don’t like the same music you do. 😉

I made no assumptions about peoples' skills and tastes. I also said it's a free country. People can like/dislike whatever they choose. I don't care. At least take issue with what I actually said.

10 hours ago, BassTractor said:

...Nausea...

I think maybe there is something there, in that, for a musically developed person, this may be music to relax with - not music to put your teeth in. 

I get the nausea thing... I always find they do something interesting, groovy, accomplished. Then they mess it up with either

a) that horrible singing; I can't put my finger on why it's so unpleasant to me, perhaps because it's so blatantly unoffensive? Or perhaps because his melodies and chord sequences just chime with something deep down in me that hates smoooothjazz chord sequences? I remember going to see Larry Coryell once, and while dazzled by his prowess (!) all those elevator chord changes were like being drizzled with golden syrup in a bath full of honey (I understand that this may appeal to some).

b) see a), though the band's chord sequences are just as annoying as Mr Fagin's (unsurprisingly)

But then I like music to be visceral, challenging. And if it's going to be quite easy, keep it simple and groovy - like dub!

• Like 1

Maybe the thread should be renamed “Aja - where are the (what I would call) good bits”?

Then it would be clearer - there is no answer as only you know what defines good.

There’s an element of jazz to the songs, as there are on many Dan records. This may have an impact on whether you like them or not. I do agree that Donald Fagen’s vocals are something of an acquired taste, but no more so than many singers. 

The only point raised that I take issue with is the assertion that somehow the musicians aren’t putting emotion or commitment into their performances. Not only does the album have some very fine “real” players like Steve Gadd and Chuck Rainey, but their support of the tracks (whether you like the songs or styles, or not) is excellent. If you don’t agree, learn some of the bass parts. Musicians of that calibre, who aren’t intellectual players but feel players who just so happen to read music because they had to in order to get studio recording and big band gigs in the 70’s, just don’t phone in performances.

• Like 4

Not a fan of steely dan at all, in that some of it I cant stand and the rest leaves me cold but my wife is a big fan of it so I have heard a lot. Its good to play along with some of it, there is good stuff in there to play, even if not to listen to, but then I find quite a bit of music is like that, you can appreciate the brush strokes without actually liking the painting. 

Had to learn Pretzel Logic for a gig that never happened, and as such I got used to, so I don't mind it. 

I think that music is better that they did exist as loads of musicians I do like have quoted them as an inspiration.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 16:47, Frank Blank said:

It took me a a long time to get into The Nightfly, I mean decades, I was always put off by that cheesy opening to I.G.Y. Eventually I listened to the lyrics, which are brilliant as usual, from then on it grew on me. New Frontier was my in.

I remember getting the album when it first came out. 'New Frontier' was the track that hit me straight away - Great writing and playing all round.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

On 21/02/2020 at 12:21, Frank Blank said:

I love Steely Dan. I love the grooves they get into, I love the sarcastic, throwaway lyrics. I know there’s a hell of a lot of brilliant writing and astonishing musicianship going on but I just like the finished songs, the product. I don’t relate to SD emotionally, they don’t ‘speak’ to me, so to speak, their experiences in no way correlate with mine but there’s something escapist and very dark that’s (for me) highly attractive about them. They occupy a unique corner of my musical taste, listening to The Fez or Babylon Sisters is like listening to no other band, I suppose I can’t explain why I like them so much, perhaps that’s one of the reasons I do like them so much. When someone else writes and performs a song as great but insane as My Old School... well it isn’t going to happen.

Stuart Lee is, by a country mile, my favourite ‘comedian’ but then I find that a peculiar epithet to describe him with, his work is more like stream of consciousness monologues, although more interactive with the audience responses than the word monologue would usually suggest. There is a similar snobbery surrounding Stewart Lee as surrounds Steely Dan, the tired old ‘you just don’t get it/them’, of course it’s bôllöcks, and band/comic/anything else is simply about each individual’s interaction with said band/comic/anything else and no one persons interaction is any more valid than anyone else’s but there will always be the I’m right you’re not crowd blathering on, it’s why I don’t get involved in the fretless discussions on here anymore.

Get out of my head, sir... Get out now, with your erudite poppy/jazzy stream of consciousness!!

On 22/02/2020 at 09:28, FDC484950 said:

Maybe the thread should be renamed “Aja - where are the (what I would call) good bits”?

Then it would be clearer - there is no answer as only you know what defines good.

There’s an element of jazz to the songs, as there are on many Dan records. This may have an impact on whether you like them or not. I do agree that Donald Fagen’s vocals are something of an acquired taste, but no more so than many singers. 

The only point raised that I take issue with is the assertion that somehow the musicians aren’t putting emotion or commitment into their performances. Not only does the album have some very fine “real” players like Steve Gadd and Chuck Rainey, but their support of the tracks (whether you like the songs or styles, or not) is excellent. If you don’t agree, learn some of the bass parts. Musicians of that calibre, who aren’t intellectual players but feel players who just so happen to read music because they had to in order to get studio recording and big band gigs in the 70’s, just don’t phone in performances.

I love Jazz. I grew up with Jazz. I don’t like SD. 

• Like 2

On 21/02/2020 at 10:59, Dan Dare said:

If you feel threatened by highly accomplished playing, work on your technique.

Who feels threatened? I grew up listening to Jazz. You know, people considered Jazz greats. Plus a fair bit of classical. I also love Return To Forever and Mahavishnu. Because they have some passion

Clear enough?

• Like 3

For those of you who have just joined the thread, here is a quick summary of the story so far:

"I really don't like Aja. It's crap."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not. Steely Dan are brilliant."
"No they aren't."
"Yes they are."
"No they aren't."
"Yes they are."
"No they aren't."
"Yes they are."
"No they aren't."
"Yes they are."
"No they aren't."
"Yes they are."

(cont'd p.94)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

shall we have another 94 pages of this?

I think it may have fizzled out by page 8... Then in 2 years someone will resurrect it for another couple of pages.

But just to keep it going:

I feel that those who like their music hard'n'heavy (not just metal, I'm not a metal fan but I like my jazz to be challenging, my funk to be On The One, my reggae not to be Lovers' and I tend not to like anything coated in saccharine apart from Bootsy's "Telephone Bill" - I also don't like any American songbook type stuff) won't really like SD. And those who aren't quite so keen on their music kicking them in the gut are more likely to be keen.

Apart from the exceptions of either side, obviously!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cetera said:

I like some bits of jazz and don't like other bits.

I love most Steely Dan.

Not sure where any of us are going with this.....

To pedantic, opinionated I can't actually grasp the subjectivity/objectivity dichotomy hell in a pointless handcart, that's where its going.

• Haha 3