Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan, aja, where's the good bit?

spectoremg

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Given it a few goes now...

im going to give it another go soon.

It took me a a long time to get into The Nightfly, I mean decades, I was always put off by that cheesy opening to I.G.Y. Eventually I listened to the lyrics, which are brilliant as usual, from then on it grew on me. New Frontier was my in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

First 2 albums are ace. After that...not so much. 

Oddly it was those two that put me off, I’ve never listened to anything else of theirs, recordings that is, I’ve been unfortunate enough to have been working at several festivals where they’ve played too, live they leave me cold too.

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

I've tried and tried with this album and I still I can't see what people rave about. Is there a backwards subliminal message saying 'mention this at dinner parties and other guests will think you're really good at music'. 

Please tell me. 

If you do manage to find it, please be sure to let me know.

• Like 1

I went through a phase of trying to like SD (my older brother was a fan). Eventually I just realised that I didn’t. I don’t hate them, they just leave me cold, for the most part. I find them really soulless. But plenty of bands I like leave others cold. I don’t think you have to like anything. If it works for you, great. If not, try something else. 

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

That dinner party - 'the musicianship's terribly good zzz...' 

Hmm. I’ve never heard that even when speaking to other musicians!

It’s musical taste - some things you like, others not so much. There’s another thread on here about Talking Heads. Can’t stand them.

I've not even listened to the Aja album or for that matter any other albums. I have listened to the track FM which I loved. I think it's called FM but maybe it's called No Static. Anyway, I liked it.

Can't stand The Beatles or The Stones in fact a lot of music leaves me cold and doesn't tickle the twins. Foo Fighters I like a bit, some tracks are great but most are dull.