Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan, aja, where's the good bit?

spectoremg

Traditionally speaking, the 'good bits' are Peg, Josie, and Deacon Blues. Whether or not you like any of those is, of course, another matter.

It's worth bearing in mind that Aja is NOT the best album by Steely Dan, not by a long chalk.

The easy winner is a late-period double album called (IIRC) The Best Of Steely Dan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Traditionally speaking, the 'good bits' are Peg, Josie, and Deacon Blues. Whether or not you like any of those is, of course, another matter.

It's worth bearing in mind that Aja is NOT the best album by Steely Dan, not by a long chalk.

The easy winner is a late-period double album called (IIRC) The Best Of Steely Dan.

Reminds me of the classic Steve Coogan......

”What’s your favourite Beatles album?”

””The Best of the Beatles”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I've tried and tried with this album and I still I can't see what people rave about. Is there a backwards subliminal message saying 'mention this at dinner parties and other guests will think you're really good at music'. 

Please tell me. 

Put your headphones on chill out to some superb musicianship.....it's a classic.

25 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I've tried and tried with this album and I still I can't see what people rave about. Is there a backwards subliminal message saying 'mention this at dinner parties and other guests will think you're really good at music'. 

Please tell me. 

Nothing to tell. Nothing snotty about it either. I tried and tried with the Beatles. Didnt happen. I moved on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Only the early SD stuff for me really (Reeling ITY etc) - when they started getting too clever and 11th chords everywhere then I got bored. Playing so good but oh so sterile IMHO. ( And please don't mention 'The Nightfly' or I'll really lose it....)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickD said:

It's all subjective innit.

Absolutely. I generally like stuff that sounds 'live' and prioritises feel over perfection, which is mainly why the more recent SD stuff ain't for me. Realise I'm probably in a minority though, most musicians I know love SD.

• Like 1