Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy at Ronnie Scott's

toneknob

16 hours ago, Drax said:

Thanks for the tip off, missed this. 
There’s no bad seats - the band won’t all fit on the stage anyway. ‘Restricted View’ £75 are the ones to get. 

*capacity listed at 250 apparently 

I always get the Restricted View seats at Ronnies, it's not that restricted really. Unless of course there's cheaper standing tickets!

Having said that, I've noticed recently that the venue has reduced the footprint of the Restricted View tables, it used to extend all the way to the wall on the left by the entrance. Now those tables are somehow not as Restricted a view as they used to be.

That’s an awful lot of money. How do they justify that? Their overheads aren’t going to be the same as a band playing the royal Albert hall for instance, which was the venue for the last big gig I attended when I saw Steven Wilson there two years ago. I think I paid about £30 for that. A friend of mine saw King Crimson at Birmingham symphony hall, that was £50 for a three hour show.

• Like 2

I reluctantly square off high ticket prices these days with the fact I pay a pittance to stream music and rarely buy physical copies. Not particularly delighted at the way this model has evolved but that's the gig now. 

There's some lower overheads at Ronnies, but also a stack of fixed costs that don't change - travel, accomodation, their time, etc. 

Ultimately would always prefer to see a band I like play a smaller venue, and accept you pay more for this. 

Crimson at RAH was £80, Snarky about £50. There's a bonus to be paid for seeing a hot band in a small venue. I bet if Crim played Ronnies we'd see some pretty high ticket prices.

Meanwhile I look at it like this. For my £80 at the RAH, I imagine myself going to each of the eight band member afterwards, saying thank you sir for a splendid evening's entertainment, peeling off a tenner and handing it over. By the same maths, for my £50 standing ticket at Ronnie's to see a 13-man Snarky, that's about £3.85 per Pupp. Not bad really.

If I were local I'd be all over this, great venue to see anyone.

As a non-Londoner it's the logistics of it that's the bigger issue than the ticket price - once I've factored in taking an afternoon off work, getting up there, a few beers and food, the cost of the ticket isn't the issue, it's everything else that comes with it that makes it expensive and a real hassle.

Still tempted though... 

Edited by Dubs

2 hours ago, ambient said:

That’s an awful lot of money. How do they justify that? Their overheads aren’t going to be the same as a band playing the royal Albert hall for instance, which was the venue for the last big gig I attended when I saw Steven Wilson there two years ago. I think I paid about £30 for that. A friend of mine saw King Crimson at Birmingham symphony hall, that was £50 for a three hour show.

that is helluva lotta dosh considering for a little more than that I got two tickets for Rammstein at the MK stadium. I don't spose Snarky Puppy are putting on a mind boggling display of pyrotechnics?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

that is helluva lotta dosh considering for a little more than that I got two tickets for Rammstein at the MK stadium. I don't spose Snarky Puppy are putting on a mind boggling display of pyrotechnics?

Exactly.

I saw KISS for £70 at O2 Arena. Two hours of pyro, moving staging, lasers/lighting & all the inherent costs of them..... plus crew, personal/public & product liability insurances, tourbuses, lorries, logistics etc etc

28 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

17 minutes ago, cetera said:

Exactly.

I saw KISS for £70 at O2 Arena. Two hours of pyro, moving staging, lasers/lighting & all the inherent costs of them..... plus crew, personal/public & product liability insurances, tourbuses, lorries, logistics etc etc

That’s my point. The Steven Wilson gig was amazing, and only £30. My friend paid £58 for a three hour King Crimson show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Exactly.

How many seats in the O2 vs Ronnies? 20,000 vs 250-ish. This may have something to do with it.

33 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

How many seats in the O2 vs Ronnies? 20,000 vs 250-ish. This may have something to do with it.

Exactly, how much would Kiss (or any other big rock act) tickets be in ANY 250 capacity room?

Anway, I'd be whizzed off if there were moving stages and pyro at a Snarky gig 😂

13 minutes ago, Dubs said:

Exactly, how much would Kiss (or any other big rock act) tickets be in ANY 250 capacity room?

When Bruce Springsteen did his Broadway residency  at the Walter Kerr theatre, (capacity of around a thousand), the cheapest tickets had a face value of over $1000. They were changing hands on the secondary market for far more than that.

And that wasn't just a one off show, he was playing 5 shows a week over a period of months.

Edited by Cato

I would pay more to see a good band in a small venue than a big venue. SP have worked their backsides off to get where they are - the market is there so why would they not? It cannot be a cheap ensemble to tour  If I was in London I would go. 

I saw them at the Brixton whatever-it's-called-now a couple of years ago and the sound wasn't that good. Ronnie's will be an altogether different proposition.

I so much prefer smaller gigs, for the sound and the atmosphere. And you can see the sweat! Large stadium gigs leave me cold. So do pyrotechnics and such shenanigans. 

• Like 1