Why become a member? ×

How to speak to a moderator?

Gary Williams

I have sold a bass on here last week to a lovely guy in Switzerland. He is not happy with the bass and he reckons it needs to go to a luthier. 

It has been one of my favourite basses and was gutted to sell it. It was set up by my luthier around 2015 when I bought it and have gigged it with no problems since. Lovely low action. The buyer asked me to tweak the trussrod to check that it moved. I turned it a tiny way clockwise and anticlockwise and then back to the same place.

Seemed fine to me when I packed it.

Without implying any judgement in this case, as a general rule, the expression 'caveat emptor' covers the situation on buying and selling, not just in this Marketplace, but on any on-line deal. It's more than likely that any instrument acquired will benefit from a set-up to one's personal taste, and if it can't be done by the buyer, a visit to a qualified luthier would be quite normal. Any dysfunctions should be indicated by the seller, but there are cases when either they are voluntarily withheld, or maybe even unknown to the seller. It's the buyer that takes that risk in agreeing  a deal without having personally inspected the instrument, and is part of the way on-line sales work. With on-line shops, one has the protection of the law, but this does not apply to private sales. Most sellers are honest and of good faith, as are most buyers, but there's not much that can be done if one or other party don't 'play ball'.
Hoping this particular case can be amicably resolved, of course, but in general : Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 6