Why become a member? ×

flatwounds on an active bass

artisan

i nearly always use flats on my passive Fenders but i was wondering what my deluxe P would sound like with flats on it.
yes ok i'm too tight to buy a set & try them,i am a Yorkshire man after all.
also would they be ok strung throught body or would i be better top loading them,
cheers.

[quote name='artisan' post='401926' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:27 PM']i nearly always use flats on my passive Fenders but i was wondering what my deluxe P would sound like with flats on it.
also would they be ok strung throught body or would i be better top loading them,
cheers.[/quote]

I'll bring my Rick Turner Electroline to the YBB: it's strung with flats, long scale, active and 5 strings!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='401936' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:39 PM']Some flats dont like through body stringing though but the TI Jazz Flats I use have been OK so far.[/quote]

+1 to the above. Other enquiries about through-body stringing, including my own, suggest that only TI Flats can cope. All the other flats are unlikely to last long and some may not even mount before failing.

Balcro.

[quote name='artisan' post='401926' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:27 PM']i nearly always use flats on my passive Fenders but i was wondering what my deluxe P would sound like with flats on it.
cheers.[/quote]

Hey Artisan. I've the exact same American Deluxe P and I've only ever used flats on it. Started with Fender stainless steel flats but then for ages used TI Jazz Flats. Recently I've been trying D'Addario Chrome Flats but I expect to go back to TI Jazz Flats.

Flats are fine on this bass. And I've strung all of them through the body without any problem. I've heard though that La Bellas do not work through the body.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='402016' date='Feb 6 2009, 03:07 PM']Hey Artisan. I've the exact same American Deluxe P and I've only ever used flats on it. Started with Fender stainless steel flats but then for ages used TI Jazz Flats. Recently I've been trying D'Addario Chrome Flats but I expect to go back to TI Jazz Flats.

Flats are fine on this bass. And I've strung all of them through the body without any problem. I've heard though that La Bellas do not work through the body.[/quote]

cheers for that E'T',looks like i'll have to top load them then which is a shame but never mind.
i've tried TI's before on my '62 R'I' P bass & found them a bit "floppy" so i gave them to a friend who loves them--dohh.
where as i've got La Bella's on my Jazz & i absolutely love 'em to bits.
on the subject of TI's,whats the tension like through body ?
cheers.
as for these basses-bloody awesome arn't they,just a tad bright with the rounds on for me.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='402076' date='Feb 6 2009, 03:23 PM']cheers for that E'T',looks like i'll have to top load them then which is a shame but never mind.
i've tried TI's before on my '62 R'I' P bass & found them a bit "floppy" so i gave them to a friend who loves them--dohh.
where as i've got La Bella's on my Jazz & i absolutely love 'em to bits.
on the subject of TI's,whats the tension like through body ?
cheers.
as for these basses-bloody awesome arn't they,just a tad bright with the rounds on for me.[/quote]

As you have experienced, TIs are low tension and remain low tension through the body. I'm not actually convinced that through-body really makes more difference than a psychic medium could tell.

And yes I love my ADP (with flats).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='402094' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:45 PM']As you have experienced, TIs are low tension and remain low tension through the body. I'm not actually convinced that through-body really makes more difference than a psychic medium could tell.

And yes I love my ADP (with flats).[/quote]

cheers for the advice mucho appreciated ;)

cheers.[/quote]

the active part either is onboard preamp
or
EMG actives

i would think on a straight forward passive pup/active eq bass they would sound about the same

on an EMG pup model i reckon you would hear a lot of string to fret click but the overall sound should be tubby with bright harmonics
a bit of a mix match i would reckon

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='402094' date='Feb 6 2009, 03:45 PM']As you have experienced, TIs are low tension and remain low tension through the body. I'm not actually convinced that through-body really makes more difference than a psychic medium could tell.[/quote]

+1
I gave up thro body in the end

I have TI flats on a lakland Jerry Schef, My stingray, and a p bass which is fitted with a steve rabe pbr active circuit.
I even had them on a lakie 55-02 before I sold it.

An active will give you that bit more flexibulity to play around with, to get whatever sound you are looking for.

I've got D'addario half rounds on my fender urge, strung through the body, and they're great. Mellowed the tone down a bit so that I'm not always running with the treble backed right off as I was with the round wounds, but still plenty of zing (for my taste at least) if you wind the treble up. Obviously half round (Ground wound), but not had one fail on yet.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='402094' date='Feb 6 2009, 03:45 PM']As you have experienced, TIs are low tension and remain low tension through the body. I'm not actually convinced that through-body really makes more difference than a psychic medium could tell.
And yes I love my ADP (with flats).[/quote]

the tension in any string is the same no matter how its anchored...its a mathematical and physical fact...for any pitch the string has to be at a certain tension
what happens with break angles is that the tension is increased due to vectors and extra load is put on the nut/saddles in a downward direction
with through body stringing this load on the saddles is enormous but is transmitted into the body wood due to the anchorage being in the body..and so interacts better with the wood than a surface mounted bridge design

;)

Edited by mrcrow