Why become a member? ×

So I’ve got this violin...

Bafflegab

Alright so I don’t know if anyone here will be able to help me with this so I’ll ask first before posting a bunch of pics and details.

I’ve got this violin, it’s labelled Maggini and dated 1640, but I’m fairly sure it’s a copy.  But I’d really like to know more about it, as I think it’s still fairly old.

Is there anyone here that knows about violins and could give me more info if I post pics?  And as it’s not a bass and I’m not selling, am I allowed to ask for an approximate value?

thanks in advance folks!

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm sorry mate, but this has to happen:

Hardly relevant, is it, Jack? Tommy Cooper recorded that sketch in 1994 - roughly ten years after his death, whereas Maggini built that violin in 1640 - roughly ten ye...

...oh, I get it now. :$

;)

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two things:

My dad had a Violin that an uncle gave him, it said Stradivarius inside it and was hence considered worthless and hung on the wall as an ornament.  Then on an off-chance he had it valued ... no it wasn't a Strad, but it was still worth £1200 which got him a nice new 'cello bow.

Ever read the Spike Millligan story about an old fella who calls in a pawn shop with a Violin with Amati written in it; shopkeeper sees it's genuine but only offers him £20 "see a lot of these mate - common as muck; what did you think it was worth?"  to which the old fella replies "£200,000".

Let a Violinist have a quick fiddle which will tell you if it is worth anything (ie not chinese plywood) and if so go to a dealer and ask what it is.  Places like Tim Toft Violins have free valuation days .. and are pretty honest too.

.. and a couple of photos would help ;¬)

Edited by NickA