Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling 4-String - ON HOLD £750
£800
Nr. Bristol

Rblake80

Up for Sale is my much loved, played and looked after Musicman Sterling. This is a USA made Sterling from 1996. 

Unfortunately needs must and I am offering it up for sale at a fair price.  For those Musicman fans out there, this is the period where Musicman recessed the neck plate! Hopefully you can see it is in great condition for a 23 year old instrument. There are a couple of dings (headstock) and some shallow marks on the body which I've tried to pick up in the pictures where visible. Apart from that the usual signs are there for an instrument that has seen many years of being played. As pointed out I have taken an image of a small ding on the radius of the fretboard on the 4th fret.

On the scales, the weight is a manageable 9.5lbs

The serial number lists the instrument as:

Manufactured October 15th, 1996
Model BASS STERLING SUNBURST ROSEWOOD
Controls Single Pickup, 3-band active preamp; vol, treble, mid, bass
Switching Single Pickup - 3-way lever pickup selector

The Bass comes with the original Musicman Hard Shell Case. I would rather the buyer collects (if at all possible under currently social distancing) or happy for buyer to pay for courier service with an acceptable level of insurance. 

Sorry no trades or offers on this one as it is fairly priced for an instrument of this quality.

Any questions then feel free to PM me and I'll come straight back when I can!

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

IMG_8536.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

Edited by Rblake80
Updated Status to ON HOLD
  • Like 9

Is this Honeyburst?

VERY tempted. I sold my lovely (natural) Sterling the year before last when I needed cash and then it sold on again before I had the cash to buy it back. Honeyburst is the other EBMM finish I love. 

I’ve never seen a recessed neck without the bridge with mutes before. 

1 hour ago, Rblake80 said:

I would call this Honeyburst as it is a vibrant orangey colour, although the serial No. states sunburst! I have seen another like this a while back without the mutes and recessed neck plate, so it must have been an option back in the day.

It looks a bit lighter in the photos so might actually be Cherry Sunburst rather than Honeyburst. It’s easier to tell in person. 

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

It looks a bit lighter in the photos so might actually be Cherry Sunburst rather than Honeyburst. It’s easier to tell in person. 

Fair one, I'd say the photos are pretty accurate to the actual colour. Saying that I'm colour blind as a bat, but suffice to say what it looks like to me in real life is what it looks like in the photos!

On 18/02/2020 at 14:55, Rblake80 said:

Thanks for the support guys, even my colour blindness now tells me it's Cherryburst finish. Lovely Stingray Quatschmacher!

Sadly not mine. I can’t get on with the wider necks and musicman discontinued both the honeyburst finish and the slimmer SLO Special necks before I had the cash to order one. Sadly it looks like they aren’t coming back either so I’m still hoping to find a used one sometime.

Oh, and yours is Cherry Sunburst.

((Black) Cherryburst is yet another MM colour entirely.) It’s bloody confusing. 😆

Edited by Quatschmacher

I concur with Peter!

The Op's bass is most definitely cherry burst!  And a beautiful example it is (that birdseye neck) earlier musicmans are stunning.

As shown my current sterling is cherry busy, although a more orangy shade. I owned a Stingray 5 HH in Honeyburst which was much darker. It was a darker yellow, going into a burgundy colour, very classy.

The older musicmans called them sunburst  (two tone) but later took a tip from Duluxe and gave the finishes fancy names.

As an aside I originally owned my sterling 11 years ago, and it definitely went from yellow to a bright red. When I recently bought it back, I noticed the finish had lightened sone what and the red has become a dark orange. I suppose it could now be called burnt orange burst or Jaffa burst 😂

To the OP that is a stunning example and on for less cash than I'd want for mine a massive bargain 😊

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Still available?! Jeez, some great basses at bargain prices right now. 

Sign of the times innit matey. I've been looking at this a lot as I love Sterlings, played on a few but never owned one surprisingly. Its so tempting to pull the trigger but you just don't know whats around the corner financially wise. I could be jobless in a months time, its just such a shytey time.