Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Stubby £399 on Reverb

basskit_case

I think it’s great price for the amp. I have an “original” LB which I adore but the Little Stubby has something extra with the feedback control which makes it really quite handy indeed. If I didn’t have an LB and CTM100 is probably have bought one by now.

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, nikon F said:

they are still on ashdowns ebay outlet for 399 ( ashdown-bass ) 

I don't need one though

but ive just ordered one anyway ,,,,actually phoned ashdown to see if it was their ebay shop and it is

That was my thinking.  Seriously, these things sound incredible and they have decent volume too.

AF9E2A45-FBCE-4D93-913F-2AB14119F4A6.jpeg

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 2

I've found an excellent bag to keep the Little Stubby in.  The Gator 19" wide DJ Controller Messenger bag.  You need to add a thick piece of solid foam to the bottom of the bag inside for the amp to sit on, but other than that it's very good if you don't want a flight case.

G-CLUB-CONTROL_FRONT_RT

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, franzbassist said:

I've found an excellent bag to keep the Little Stubby in.  The Gator 19" wide DJ Controller Messenger bag.  You need to add a thick piece of solid foam to the bottom of the bag inside for the amp to sit on, but other than that it's very good if you don't want a flight case.

G-CLUB-CONTROL_FRONT_RT

I've been looking for a suitable bag for mine, thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

I've got a 3x10 ......or 2  1x12 RM cabs ...or 2x15 RM cabs & a DB 1x12 somewhere .....the 3x 10 is my fav .

I think you'd have no problem being heard with a 3x10, or indeed any other combination.  I like a clean tone so with the gain at noon and the volume between 11 and 1 o'clock it's plenty loud through my Baer 1x12.  The more cabs you add the better it'll get :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got a full set of vintage Mullards in the preamp section of mine.  Sounds glorious!

For those that are interested, from right to left, we have:

• V1 = special quality ECC81, labelled M8162/CV4024, from September 1965
  • V2 = ECC83 from March 1962
  • V3 = ECC83/CV492 from November 1963
  • V4 = special quality ECC82, labelled M8136/CV4003, from December 1964

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.007e60796a66aff9ed2b9aaa845b915e.JPG

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 3

On 01/04/2020 at 16:35, franzbassist said:

I've now got a full set of vintage Mullards in the preamp section of mine.  Sounds glorious!

For those that are interested, from right to left, we have:

• V1 = special quality ECC81, labelled M8162/CV4024, from September 1965
  • V2 = ECC83 from March 1962
  • V3 = ECC83/CV492 from November 1963
  • V4 = special quality ECC82, labelled M8136/CV4003, from December 1964

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.007e60796a66aff9ed2b9aaa845b915e.JPG

hello FB ,,where did you get the valves from ?     I see Watford valves has got the 81 and the 82 ,,,and they aint cheap .does it really change the sound much ?

12 minutes ago, nikon F said:

hello FB ,,where did you get the valves from ?     I see Watford valves has got the 81 and the 82 ,,,and they aint cheap .does it really change the sound much ?

I tend to pick them up over time from the reputable dealers on eBay.  As you say 81s and 82s are easy to get and quite cheap, but finding decent 83s takes some looking.  I don't pay silly money for them though.

I think they change the sound for the better.  VIntage Mullards, in fact most old production valves, just have a warmth to them that I don't hear in modern valves.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one of these from Ashdown on Reverb along with the tweed 112T cab.  It sounds really superb.  I haven't been able to try it out with guitarist and drummer yet due to the lockdown but that's a lot of the reason I decided to get it now.. the tube fascination... and time on my hands to learn how to use it 🙂.  Anyway, so far, as far as I've been able to crank it up at home it's certainly compatible in volume to my Eden 208 180w combo which has always kept up with them in the space we play.  I'm very pleased with it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chu88y said:

I just got one of these from Ashdown on Reverb along with the tweed 112T cab.  It sounds really superb.  I haven't been able to try it out with guitarist and drummer yet due to the lockdown but that's a lot of the reason I decided to get it now.. the tube fascination... and time on my hands to learn how to use it 🙂.  Anyway, so far, as far as I've been able to crank it up at home it's certainly compatible in volume to my Eden 208 180w combo which has always kept up with them in the space we play.  I'm very pleased with it.  

Excellent. I was tempted by the cab too, but in the end went down a different path.

I find the bass and feedback knobs have the biggest influence on the tone of the LS.  Gain is quite senstive, and there's a big jump in volume with the Master at about 1pm on mine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A question for the LS owners. With a trs cable plugged in to a recording console from the LS DI out, and the volume turned down on the amp  , but some drive turned up , do you get a signal? With a speaker plugged in of course. ie can it be used as a preamp for silent recording. thanks 

Well just went and got it

its probably not loud enough to gig with (even with a 610) but it’s got great tones 
Good for studio , home practice 

will take to the studio on the weekend and report back on the DI 

D7ECBB7A-8597-4C92-A3C3-0F11A0C54D07.jpeg

• Like 1