Why become a member? ×

What have I done!!!

binky_bass

So... it happened again...

I need genuine medical help. 

Our good friends at guitarguitar have dropped the price of their last 2 Mesa Boogie Traditional Powerhouse 4x10 cabs to a lean £599 a piece, that's 55% off the RRP of £1350 (currently selling for that at gear4music).

And, well... I may have accidentally bought them. Both.

My inner OCD required a full matching rig after having bought the Mesa Boogie Strategy Eight:88 from err... well... guitarguitar a month or so ago.

So now, once these cabs have been delivered, the rig will be a Mesa Boogie Strategy Eight:88 head with two rather tasty 600w Mesa Boogie Traditional Powerhouse 4x10 cabs. 

If I'm not heard from in the next few days, it's because the walls of my house have crumbled due to the horrendous volumatic nature of this completely unnecessary rig!

Help.

Please.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Jeez mate, that's a lot of cab. Think yourself lucky they're the Traditional Powerhouse, which are slightly shallower and lighter than the Standard Powerhouse which are massive (I sold my Standard 4x10 to a USA bassist touring Europe and he asked whether I though he'd need two to get decent volume on stage; I said I'm not sure he even needed one, the Standard 2x10 is enough for most applications).

That is a monster rig you have there. I'm guessing as I only live 100 or so miles away if I open the windows I'll probably hear you. Can you do Seven Nation Army so I can check it's you?

• Haha 2

I got suckered right in... I barely remember doing it. I think I was drugged...

I know it's totally unnecessary and I'll never actually run it at 'full volume' as I don't tend to play stadiums but £599 for a brand spanking new Mesa Traditional 4x10 seemed pretty damn good. Most second hand ones I've seen have gone for more, so logic be damned!

I'll stick a photo up when they arrive. If my spine survives lifting them, which is unlikely.

So, if I don't die from over exposure to high volumes, I'll die from 'crushed spine' syndrome. Either way, I'm most likely a goner. 

• Haha 1

Just now, binky_bass said:

I got suckered right in... I barely remember doing it. I think I was drugged...

I know it's totally unnecessary and I'll never actually run it at 'full volume' as I don't tend to play stadiums but £599 for a brand spanking new Mesa Traditional 4x10 seemed pretty damn good. Most second hand ones I've seen have gone for more, so logic be damned!

I'll stick a photo up when they arrive. If my spine survives lifting them, which is unlikely.

So, if I don't die from over exposure to high volumes, I'll die from 'crushed spine' syndrome. Either way, I'm most likely a goner. 

If they're on those lovely Mesa wheels, just don't get them on an incline, they have a life of their own :)

Agreed. I did have an older Powerhouse 4x10 like that one you posted, ran it with a Mesa M-Pulse 600. Was a very good rig. 

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll actually prefer these Mesa cabs to my current PJB cabs, I do love the PJB cabs, but they MUST now go with the Mesa cabs coming in. 

From my experience the Bass has the largest impact in tone (quite obviously), followed by head, then cabs. Most 'high end' cabs I've owned over the years haven't really coloured the sound that much, they just accurately pump out 'noise' based on the bass/head combination.

Looking forward to seeing these cabs in the flesh! 

21 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I'm not sure which would make me feel more uncomfortable - the idea of the amp straddling two cabs on wheels or the 'offset' look of the cab firmly on one of the cabs.

Gotta be stacked I suppose.

Put rubber feet on the same side of both cabs and lay them sideways in a stack? 

Yes, yes! I know the badges will be sideways!

Or do the castors pop out?

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Looks like you'll be lugging this around instead @Beedster. Been told by guitarguitar that they've just realised one has a black grill! 

20200218_184731.thumb.png.f80b39b7fdeeec265823fca3a9862d2b.png

Or should I say this:

20200218_185149.thumb.png.e132a7bc2f99807cb6ebc0d6e4c20aa5.png

Bummer. But to be really honest mate, you only need one, seriously. I used the BB-750 with one Mesa 4x10 a few times and got noise complaints from Cape Town

• Haha 1