Why become a member? ×

Early Squier JV P's - anyone know the specifications?

musicbassman

On 21/02/2020 at 14:13, martthebass said:

All I recall of my JV57P (big Fender logo) is that the nut was 1.75" - never felt comfortable so off it went.

I think mine was  as well. I do recal it being the widest P neck ive ever played. Probably normal For that type of bass,  but definitely not as comfortable as other P’s ive owned/own. 

Jeez - are you sure? That's massive. Just measured mine and it's 1and 5/8ths " = about 42mm

1.75" would be about 44.5mm

(Mine is 1982 JV57P + big Fender logo, ser no.JV 07768)

The whole point of this exercise is to try and establish whether the spec for the later Fujigen P's from the late '80's to early 90's was the same as that used for these early JV Squiers.  :scratch_one-s_head:

16 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Jeez - are you sure? That's massive. Just measured mine and it's 1and 5/8ths " = about 42mm

The whole point of this exercise is to try and establish whether the spec for the later Fujigen P's from the late '80's to early 90's was the same as that used for these early JV Squiers.  :scratch_one-s_head:

Ive seen plenty of P basses with a 44/45mm nut. This is what's put me off them over the years, although most of the time ive just put a jazz neck on them anyway.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Mine was a first run big Fender logo 57P two tone burst, single ply white plate bought new in August 82.  Definitely 1.75" on that one - don't have the serial though...

Interesting. I see Ashwood1985  has just put a very early fender logo'd 57P Squier up for sale here and states the nut width is 43mm

Also, I've just bought an early '90's Fujigen P from Aidan63  and he states it's 42.25mm at the nut. This is near enough identical in appearance to the JV57, and it will be interesting to compare this directly with my Squier both in terms of sound and playability. I will report back if there's anything interesting or worthy of comment.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. 🙂

Well in my case it was just form memory of finding the neck a bit chunky. Could have been the depth. Either way, i found it a bit hard to play.

Those JV's are nothing special IME, especially not these days when you can get a lot, lot more for less than the used asking price. Back in the day the necks were the big selling point, but these days everyone has caught up. I really cant see how a bass that cost £199 can go for almost £1000 on some websites.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well in my case it was just form memory of finding the neck a bit chunky. Could have been the depth. Either way, i found it a bit hard to play.

Those JV's are nothing special IME, especially not these days when you can get a lot, lot more for less than the used asking price. Back in the day the necks were the big selling point, but these days everyone has caught up. I really cant see how a bass that cost £199 can go for almost £1000 on some websites.

My experience differs.  I had a F logo one - the one for sale here at the moment, as it happens, and still own a slightly later one.  They are the best and second best Precision basses I have had through my hands - which I am afraid to report is quite a few.  

Na

20 minutes ago, Paul S said:

My experience differs.  I had a F logo one - the one for sale here at the moment, as it happens, and still own a slightly later one.  They are the best and second best Precision basses I have had through my hands - which I am afraid to report is quite a few.  

Im not saying the basses are rubbish, but how on earth did they get to £1000 from £199? With so many very, very good bases on the market for so much less i think owning one is just a way to print money.

EDIT: Sorry, thats bit off topic. My original point was having owned and gigged oen for a few years, my Squier CV knocks spots off it, and many other P basses ive owned that cost a lot less than £1000. So while they might be 'collectable' that's about it as far as im concerned.

We do of course, disagree with that, which is cool.

Edited by dave_bass5

I see two factors at work.  Collectability and worth.  The Fender logo ones were only a small run and so collectable.  Even if they were shite, the fact that there aren't many of them would make them collectable.  But, for me, the Fender logo one I owned was better than any other Precision I have tried, including a few USA ones.  Add the 'rare and collectable' factor in and that makes £1000 a pretty decent buy.  What they cost at the start is irrelevant as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

.  What they cost at the start is irrelevant as far as I can see.

Fair enough, so who sets the cost? Who determined that £1000 is a good price? And why not keep it if its that good?

Not trying to start an argument, just replying to your posts as you did with mine.

No-one here is arguing.  You said in your experience the JV basses are nothing special, my experience is different.  :) 

The marketplace sets the cost.  If you don't want to pay £1000 for a Fender logo JV Squier then there are plenty of folk who do.  Not a problem.

I had 2 JV Precisions - I kept the second, slightly later but not Fender logo, because I prefered the colour (black, rather than tobacco-burst), the weight(8lbs rather than 9lbs) and the tone (a little edgier).  It is not as 'collectable' or worth as much but I prefer it.

Well to be fair, i sad nothing special, especially at the price they go for, and added that i wasn't knocking the bass as such, just commenting that for £1000 you can get a lot of bass, so the JV is up there with these basses. Cant think of anything that would make it stand out from the crowd (at this prince point), other than its rep, which was based on it being head and shoulders above the crowd when it was released.

Still, if it feels good and sounds good, its got to be worth whatever you pay.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

other than its rep, which was based on it being head and shoulders above the crowd when it was released.

I don't recall the JVs rep being big in the 80s or even that much in the 90s. It's the 00s when people realised how good these basses are, and price spikes happened. Things are only worth what people are prepared to pay. If you don't think they're worth £1k, then far enough, others may differ.

31 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I don't recall the JVs rep being big in the 80s or even that much in the 90s. It's the 00s when people realised how good these basses are, and price spikes happened. Things are only worth what people are prepared to pay. If you don't think they're worth £1k, then far enough, others may differ.

I remember it differently. The prices didnt creep up until later, but it was common knowledge how much of a barging these were, and why, from very earl on.