Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro SB-1000 - Passive vs Active

Damon

Hello

Ive been playing a Musicman Stingray for the past 15 years or so.  Recently I purchased an Aria Pro SB-1000 in oak and have equipped it with some Black Beauties strings (light gauge).  I have also had the action set ultra low as I like.  Ive always loved the look and sound of the bass from the late 80's when I first got into playing after watching John Taylor of Duran Duran.

Apart from getting used to the feel of the bass (which took a little time after playing the Stingray for so long), I just wanted some advice on which mode is most popular for playing live.  I imagined that with 18V of active power and the 6 position active switch I would be spoilt for choice but what im finding is that the passive mode is giving me the power and warmth I need without going to active mode.  I can also feel the passive mode working best for live as I play in a functions band so play rock, pop, soul, funk etc. I dont see the active settings as being very versatile for a varied set.  

Id love to know what other people feel about passive vs active in a live situation for the SB-1000.  I feel that by not being in active mode im kind of not unleashing the power of the bass... but do love the sound im getting with passive mode. 

Thanks! 

I remember lusting after an SB1000 for years, especially after having a few low end, bolt neck & passive SB's.

Even in the late 90's, they felt superb, well built and extremely playable. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find it sounded that good, whichever settings I used, talk about gutted. :( 

I bought it as a "downgrgade" from a late 80's StingRay, chopped it in for a mid-90's StingRay which was a huge mistake (looked great, played great, sounded awful).

Still lust after the pinnacle for me, an SB Elite II.