Why become a member? ×

Trying to get that "punk" sound

sp8600

Hi, I have recently bought an ABM Evo II 500 and an ABM 410T cab (I know its now made in China but I do like the sound)... I also play an American Fender P-Bass.

I have been messing with the EQ on the amp over the last few days and love it however cant quite dial into what i'm looking for (i know its there somewhere). I'm after a punky sound sort of like greenday, sum 41 etc...

I was hoping some one would be able to inform me of how to get that sprt of sound

Thanks

Firstly, unplug your bass and experiment with different plucking position and pick attack/angle until you get as close to the sound as you can in an acoustic manner. Also consider your string and pick choice. Once you've got the vibe happening, plug in, turn our tweeter off and then try slightly overdriving your preamp, and boosting the low treble (~1.2kHz) and cutting the low mids (~250Hz) by a few dB. Add a little extra bottom if need be - but not a lot!

Alex

I'd just advice playing with the tone knob on your P up full, and with a lot of high mids and treble on the amp. That punky tone is all about the high end, and it's really hard to beat a Precision Bass to replicate it.