Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT II PRO / Non Pro Owners Thread

donslow

On 03/01/2021 at 21:13, dave74200 said:

How much better would you say the 2 is than the 3? I had a 2 and loved it, now I have a 7 and a 3. I often fantasize about getting another 2, but remember the weight and the cost of valve replacement kits!!

I had a 2 and loved it, now I have a 7 and a 3. I often fantasise about getting another 2'.

You've answered your own question. If the weight is an issue, use a trolley or wheeled rack case. 

And if you really want a serious answer re 2 versus 3, chalk and cheese sums it up

I remember as a young man ogling an SVT II and 8 x10 in Session music shop in Belfast, would have been around ‘92 or ‘93. It was the version with white lettering (not blue) and I *think* it had the graphic equaliser. They hired it out as backline but it was pretty new.

The shop guy asked if I’d ever heard one,

“Nope”

“Here try this” and he handed me a Musicman Stingray (another first for me).

I can still remember the tone and visceral impact on my chest, it was genuinely shocking. The dynamics seemed instantaneous and unlimited. A never again repeated experience for me.

About a year later I bought an SVT III with Ampeg 1x18 and 4x10 cabs but it wasn’t the same as the valves and fridge.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Let me join the club!!!!

As of yesterday I'm the proud owner of this little amp from 1995!!!!

It need a service because every pot makes some kind of noise but the sound is there! What a beast of an amp!!!

With the 410hlf heritage it's a match made in heaven.

I'm really looking forward to have theamp full serviced to explore all the tonal options that this bad boy has!!!!

20210410_175743.jpg

20210410_175800.jpg

• Like 6

• 8 months later...
On 06/01/2021 at 19:32, Beedster said:

I had a 2 and loved it, now I have a 7 and a 3. I often fantasise about getting another 2'.

You've answered your own question. If the weight is an issue, use a trolley or wheeled rack case. 

And if you really want a serious answer re 2 versus 3, chalk and cheese sums it up

• 2 months later...

Joined the club today! Picked this up for an absolute song from a chap who used to run a local studio. Looks like it's taken a few knocks in its life but seems to run perfectly.

The drive pot has been snapped off at the shaft and currently has a bolt driven into it to make it usable. Does anyone know the value and spec for this pot before I go rootling around inside?

IMG20220403153601-01.thumb.jpeg.07ab14cb775e408eb97805290f6d0475.jpegIMG20220403153557-02.thumb.jpeg.9836f283bab4bef894af240491215282.jpeg

Edited by d-basser
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 03/04/2022 at 17:10, d-basser said:

Joined the club today! Picked this up for an absolute song from a chap who used to run a local studio. Looks like it's taken a few knocks in its life but seems to run perfectly.

The drive pot has been snapped off at the shaft and currently has a bolt driven into it to make it usable. Does anyone know the value and spec for this pot before I go rootling around inside?

IMG20220403153601-01.thumb.jpeg.07ab14cb775e408eb97805290f6d0475.jpegIMG20220403153557-02.thumb.jpeg.9836f283bab4bef894af240491215282.jpeg

That’s quite a setup d basser, really nice 

• Like 1

Question re the 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes in these things.  Ampeg told me they've used Sovtek, Ruby and more recently (in later SVT Pro models) JJ.

Anyone have experience or comments with these brands of these tubes and recommend one over the others?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

There an SVT II Non Pro on bass bros website, very good price, easily the best of the 'II's' and no fan

Thanks Pow I saw that but just assumed they all had a fan, cheers, apart from that is there any difference 

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Pow I saw that but just assumed they all had a fan, cheers, apart from that is there any difference 

The non pro's dont have gain or drive knobs but are much more akin to 'vintage' svt's.  Some might see this as a con in that they are cleaner at lower volumes and you cant crank the gain to get grit.  But at full bore the non pro sounds miles better (not that the pro doesnt sound good too)

completely my bad, just looked at some guts online and the II non pro does indeed have a fan.  Couldve sworn my old one didnt.  Sorry

Edited by Pow_22
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

The non pro's dont have gain or drive knobs but are much more akin to 'vintage' svt's.  Some might see this as a con in that they are cleaner at lower volumes and you cant crank the gain to get grit.  But at full bore the non pro sounds miles better (not that the pro doesnt sound good too)

Thanks, that looks better for me for what I play 

5 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Pines for 300w valve head / worries about fan noise. Does not compute.

I totally get what you’re saying and your right, I mostly play at home or studio these days and I don’t like any fan noise of any description, probably overkill for my needs but I really like the Ampeg valve sound , just me gassing for another amp 😁

Fans - I recently upgraded a friends amp (not an Ampeg) with a high end computer fan. You can get really quiet ones for PCs which make a big difference in a computer so might work just as well in an amp. Lots of different sizes available. 
The only issue with venting is that some times where the fan is can add to the noise with turbulence - don’t just stick a fan anywhere as even an expensive PC can be noisy if pushing air past sharp objects.

On 17/03/2023 at 11:32, Pow_22 said:

There an SVT II Non Pro on bass bros website, very good price, easily the best of the 'II's' and no fan

I’ve had this in the basket a few times since it appeared, I couldn’t resist, it’s time to admit I have an Ampeg valve problem… 😲

image.jpg

• Like 3