Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT II PRO / Non Pro Owners Thread

donslow

On 19/02/2020 at 08:06, Pow_22 said:

My second favourite ever bass tone was through an SVTII Non Pro into an 810 cab, with my flats loaded P bass it was glorious!  Only topped by the same cab with an old Japanese MTI era SVT, that actually cause a stirring in my loins!!!

Sharing the sentiment...

On 27/02/2020 at 21:48, Niall6002 said:

it sits on a pair of Genz Benz Uber Neo 1288T cabs,

Look at a/some new cabs currently, WAS looking for 2 or 4 x10’s

how well a match are these for this head?!

55 minutes ago, donslow said:

Look at a/some new cabs currently, WAS looking for 2 or 4 x10’s

how well a match are these for this head?!

They compliment the head very well,

the Genz cabs have 1 x12, 2x8 and a tweeter with a 3 way crossover built in,

they are Uber Hi Fi and offer huge full range sound with zero mud,

they sound 3 dimensional if that makes any sense!

lightweight too with the Neodymium speakers!

with my PJB head they sound great too.

43 minutes ago, Niall6002 said:

They compliment the head very well,

the Genz cabs have 1 x12, 2x8 and a tweeter with a 3 way crossover built in,

they are Uber Hi Fi and offer huge full range sound with zero mud,

they sound 3 dimensional if that makes any sense!

lightweight too with the Neodymium speakers!

with my PJB head they sound great too.

Might put them on the shortlist then... thank you for the input 

On 29/02/2020 at 06:32, Pow_22 said:

I know, my finger has been hovering over the Offer button on the USA coloured logo one daily for a while now 😬

You mean the one that’s now in the back of my car right? ;)

#brightonroadtrip

A41618C8-ADEA-4B83-AEFD-A9B0C4F873E9.jpeg

• Haha 1

Mid 90s, USA made, recently revalved with KT88s! When I found out I made a resolution in my mind that I’d be buying 6550s to swap it back in search of more grind but on hearing it it’s all there (or well, there’s enough of it for my liking) plus there’s the KT88 benefit of a bit more HiFi clean at the start of the gain range and more power.

Edited by Bankai
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bankai said:

You mean the one that’s now in the back of my car right? ;)

#brightonroadtrip

A41618C8-ADEA-4B83-AEFD-A9B0C4F873E9.jpeg

Congrats, cant say im not jealous!  I did put an offer in but admittedly it was low ball and auto decline.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Congrats, cant say im not jealous!  I did put an offer in but admittedly it was low ball and auto decline.  Enjoy!

I’ve been trying to pick up a Mesa 400+ without luck as the only ones on offer at the moment are too high (£1500 on eBay, versus the £700 one sold for on here last month) so when I stumbled across this USA II Pro only an hour away I thought I might as well!

I’m sure I’ll still have in my head “well it’s not the Mesa” and GAS will take over, however I must say the tone off of this is very nice. As mentioned before, I’d been adamant to myself that I’d be swapping it straight back from KT88 to 6550 but I’m really enjoying how it sounds with these. Grind if you want it, but a nice clean if you don’t which I’ve not heard on Ampegs before. I can’t get as much drive out of it as I would with the 6550, but I suppose I have a pedal for that if I need it full on. I have admittedly not heard previously heard a II myself, but have used the CL and a few others and I never ever enjoyed the clean tone off of them. This breaks the mould!

Edited by Bankai

5 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

How you getting on with it @Bankai?  Im always looking at the stock over on Amp Broker (a polish amp shop that mainly deals on reverb, really good guy running that place) and they have a similar SVT II in, very tempted!

I’ve previously played a SVT-CL, SVT 350H, Portaflex, and a few of the Ampeg combos.

This II Pro is undeniably the best sounding Ampeg I’ve ever heard. I don’t know how much of that is down to the KT88, but I do not regret the purchase one bit. The only downside is the weight. 

I’ve sent it in for a health check and service with the local amp repair shop so that it’s running the best it can, and he has commented that this USA era are the best they made. 

Edited by Bankai
  • Thanks 2

I just saw the one you mentioned on Reverb. £950ish? If it’s been serviced and revalved, that’s still not a bad price. I would say that’s about the going rate. I got an absolute steal on mine for £600! Came from a touring company that was moving on some of its old stock. 

Edited by Bankai

That's the one.  Ive bought a few things off the seller Kamil (he's bought a few amps off me too) so complete faith in the seller, its just do I NEED 300w of valve power?  My current amp, a Peavey Alphabass, puts out circa 160w via 6 x 6L6GC which is plenty, but headroom though..........

£600 is a steal, in a drunken hopeful moment I bid £500 on yours fully expecting it to be knocked back, it was instantly so obviously (and understandably) below his minimum auto decline amount

On 11/03/2020 at 08:26, jimmy23cricket said:

Whats the difference between these and the SVT 4-Pro?

The 4 sounds flat and 1 dimensional in comparison, and feels completely different to play.  Tube Svt’s (that are running well) feel “alive”....

Edited by roonjuice
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...