Why become a member? ×

Is my amp big enough to gig with? I think so... if you’re the world's top folk rockers!

TrevorR

Saw the fabulous Fairport Convention last night and had the whale of a time! What a great band. Over 50 years of plying the boards and they still make great music, put on a fabulous show and come across as guys who are really enjoying what they’re doing.

Perusing the stage set up put me in mind of the eternal threads you read on Facebook bass groups and on Basschat’s American cousin asking what rig I need to have to be able to play live. The answer is always along the likes of, “Well, you might get away with 500w but safer to go 800w or a 1000w because of headroom...” and “Well, ideally an SVT and Fridge cabinet. But you’d get away with a couple of 4x10s or 2x12s but make sure they’re 4Ω and the amp’s 2Ω to make the most of the wattage...”.

Peggy’s bass sounded fantastic throughout last night. What a great and underrated bass player. And what was his backline? A 280 quid Fender Rumble combo up on a flight case behind his head. It certainly ain’t what you got, it certainly is what you do with it! Here’s some crappy phone photos...

D3659A61-31AC-4289-9176-38B12D72191A.thumb.jpeg.a0de86b6b3b0aeb56401264ae1d9ed95.jpeg37441383-24F4-4FC9-84A9-64F14CB25DB6.thumb.jpeg.d252a3ad57b20211b19db54814c2c370.jpeg250D91C6-70B0-403C-9AB5-D8EAD385C07B.thumb.jpeg.a72c65a0b7c983bda81816a72623919b.jpeg

• Like 2

If I’m 100% honest except for festivals, the last 2 years every gig that I have done and taken my rig to, usually I wish I had a smaller rig as it just takes up space, and I always have PA support. My rig isn’t that big, but some times I think I would be better off with a tiny cab...

I play one of these Rumble 100 combos in my country band and it's more than enough, without going through the PA.

Mainly because our drummer is quiet.

But I can't get away with a Rumble 100 when playing with my blues/rock band. The drummer and guitarist don't know the meaning of the word subtle. 

I used a (borrowed) Rumble 100 combo for a festival slot last year when my car broke down and I had to use my wife's which was too small for my amp and cab as well as a couple of basses.

Everyone was DI'd and I can't say I noticed the absence of my usual rig. Sounded fine on stage and out front, according to knowledgeable people (other bass players!) in the audience.

In rehearsal I use a supplied 100w Hartke 1x15 combo With my VT Bass pedal into it. I never get beyond 3 on the volume, usually 2. 

I played The Marquee in a rock band with a 150w Laney power amp and an SVP preamp. Admittedly It was through two 4x10s, but I had the volume on 3. I also used to play in a devastatingly loud metal band (twin modded Marshall full guitar stacks) with a 100w Marshall Superbass through an HH2x15, and was never on more than half. And I play very lightly.