Why become a member? ×

Hartke HD 500

Stuart1982

As much as I loved my Hartke Stack in the late 90's and having been intrigued by the Hydrive 112 especially at discount prices, I can only see the Competition offering a better alternative these days.

A fender rumble 500 would be comparable price to an HD500 (if you could find one) or a Markbass CMD12 would come in at a greater cost, but arguably deliver much much more

10 hours ago, Stuart1982 said:

Hi folks

I'm in the lookout for a new combo to use out gigging. Hartke stuff have always interests but now where really stocks them here in scotland. Can Hartke users comment on what they like, don't like about them etc. 

Thanks 

Stuart 

I bought a Hydrive 112 a few years ago. Took it out to one gig and it couldn't keep up with a quiet drummer. So it's sat in my cupboard since then.

If I were you I'd buy a secondhand Barefaced compact. They're pretty cheap these days at about £300, are stupidly light, sound great and are about as loud as an average 410. You can't go wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gjones said:

I bought a Hydrive 112 a few years ago. Took it out to one gig and it couldn't keep up with a quiet drummer. So it's sat in my cupboard since then.

I'm sorry that was your experience.

That's just put the last nail in the coffin for me there then.

To be fair, Hartke stuff is not necessarily all bad. By accident rather than design, I've got two Hartke 112 cabs and, driven by a 700 watt class AB amp, blows away everyone else in the band if I've a mind to. And the 4/8 ohm switching is useful for running one cab on it's own. 

My gripe is twofold. firstly, they are probably the worst company for inflating the power values of their most recent class D amps (I'm not talking about the older ones here). But, more crucially, their distribution in the UK is abysmal. Good luck if you do want to buy any Hartke product from a UK dealer because almost none have any actual stock to sell you. That's got to be down to the distributor. Soon Hartke will go the way of Blockbuster Video and Border Creme Eggs. something that you vaguely remember from childhood but can't quite put your finger on why. 

Edited by AdrianP

I quite like Hartke stuff and still think my HA3500 is the best sounding amp I've ever owned, I've a little Kickback I use for open mics too. It's a long time though since they've been a 'best buy' for anything new so if you don't mind used and are not too worried about weight it's probably a good shout, if you want new and lightweight there are better options.

• Like 1

I rate the Hydrive cabs too. I have four 1x12’s and they are loud as hell. Good value too and switchable resistance. I would imagine one would struggle to keep up with a loud drummer, but you can get two for less than a barefaced and that will handle pretty much anything. 

the reality of this whole thing isn’t actually down to Hartke. This issue is down to appalling service for their UK distributer which means the aftercare service is non existent. That one major thing is what’s sinking them here rather then a major issue in quality. 

Check out Talkbass, still very respected and well thought of in the states.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Check out Talkbass, still very respected and well thought of in the states.

I've had a couple of HA heads (still got one) with no issues, and my main amp for several trouble-free years now has been a LH500. Cracking amp.

• Like 1

You could always try looking at the Ashdown AMP300 2x10 combo from Musik Produktiv in Germany.

It's a MAG300 Evo III amp, comes with a warranty that can be extended to 5 years if you register it with Ashdown. Not the lightest rig out there, and only punts out the full 300w with an extension cab (4 Ohm load), but it does put out over 200w from the internal speakers (8 Ohms), which frankly is loud enough for a heavy rock band. Bloody good VFM, and they'll deliver it cheaper than most UK suppliers.

• Like 2