Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fretless Jazz 4 - Status custom neck (unlined), luthier body and DiMarzio pickups - reduced to £525
£550
Manchester

three

Now £525 collected with Fender gig bag or £560 including overnight shipping (in an ABS hard case) in the UK

Status necked fretless Jazz 4 - luthier built alder body with natural gloss finish and custom Status neck (21 positions with overhanging board - black gloss finish).

I bought this to use whilst my own fretless was away for some work.  The latter is now on its way back so I'm selling.  Though I'd honestly rather keep it: I'm not a fan of hyperbole in ads but this is very genuinely the best fretless I've ever owned or played (and this includes Fender Masterbuilt and two Wals).  Superb, very low action and fabulous playability.  It plays better than my other fretless (considerably better, that's why the other has been away).  Condition is mint - I can't find any marks anywhere.

Specs are:

Luthier built, centre-jointed 2-piece alder body - gloss transparent finish

Custom Status neck (Precision flat profile with 1.625" nut - apparently, this cost over £550 alone when Status was taking custom orders) 

Tuners - Hipshot Ultralite

Pickups - DiMarzio (DP123 I think)

Hardware - Fender (bridge, bell-plate and neck plate)

Strings - currently very light (35-95?) rounds - very comfortable - nickels I think

Weight is 8.8lbs (about 8lbs 12ozs) and balance is very good - the top horn strap pin sits above around 11th 'fret' and the ultralites imply there's no neck-dive at all 

I have around £600 in this so think £550 is fair.  Though, honestly I doubt that you'll find a more playable fretless at pretty much any price.  IMO opinion, this also looks lovely and the J shape is very comfortable

The bass is in Manchester and collection would be ideal.  Initially, I had only a Fender gig bag and was unable to ship.  However, I've been able to source an ABS hard case (in very good used condition) and a box and can now courier within the UK.  So, the selling price above (£550) includes a gigbag if collected.  I can only ship with the hard case and this will add £25 to the total.  Shipping should be around £15 so the total cost for the bass, shipped in a hard case will be £590.  Following a recent disaster with an amp, shipping must be at the buyer's risk and collection remains the preferable option... I'm happy to ship with insurance if this helps (though again, there's an additional cost here).

Any questions, please just ask 

I’ve added a couple of images of the fretboard extension to 21 positions. This also shows the very shallow radius of the board - almost flat. For me, this adds to the comfort.

I’ve added some further and better images but please let me know if you need anything specific

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235-2.jpg

IMG_3236-2.jpg

5C79BAB5-F675-4AB0-9974-09193747A7EF.jpeg

39132AEE-5247-4C27-9806-6C66F3272809.jpeg

9185F7FD-713E-41D2-9173-66B2E5B4BDF8.jpeg

6944F327-C1C4-45E4-8236-A96633535F51.jpeg

72E1D2A7-1288-411E-8454-B008FE78367D.jpeg

9AE4FA49-E63C-40EC-9CE3-A246E4B83890.jpeg

15634F9C-813C-46EF-A295-068C9244F429.jpeg

4DC4FC63-F715-4C60-8519-8D3ED61893CA.jpeg

39AC561D-DA53-468D-87BD-85C8EABF2AAA.jpeg

Edited by three
additional images and clarification
  • Like 9

59 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

hmmmm if this doesn't sell immediately I'm going to look into a daytrip to Manchester to come and try if I may.

Potentially very interested - weight and balance are the main issues for me.

Cheers

Thomas

thanks for the lovely comments - I have the bass in my hands now - balance is excellent (standard J really, though with the graphite neck and ultralites, there's no dive whatsoever - either sitting or on a strap).  Weight, as close as I can get it on a digital scale, is 8.8lbs (so around 8lbs 12ozs).  You'd be very welcome to come to Manchester

Edited by three
information re: weight
  • Like 1

I bought a fretless Status neck once and put Hipshot Ultralites on it. I fitted it to a Precision body at the time and eventually sold the neck... to Martthebass (if I remember correctly). I wonder if this is the same neck further on its journey.

To cut a long story short... what an awesome fretless neck! The bass looks fabulous... GLWTS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trueno said:

I bought a fretless Status neck once and put Hipshot Ultralites on it. I fitted it to a Precision body at the time and eventually sold the neck... to Martthebass (if I remember correctly). I wonder if this is the same neck further on its journey.

To cut a long story short... what an awesome fretless neck! The bass looks fabulous... GLWTS.

Hmmm... I wonder - I bought the bass (whole) from an academic in London.  It wasn't martthebass as far as I know and I think the seller was the original commissioning purchaser of the neck - it's unusual insofar as it's a gloss sprayed black graphite neck 

Edited by three

• 2 weeks later...

Just another bump as this has been hanging around for ages.  I thought it had sold (twice) but things didn't work out as we might have hoped on both occasions.

A really lovely bass at a bargain price (IM0).  I'll amend the original ad as I now have a hard case and box for shipping.

Hi Stef, sorry I missed this - I’m not really looking for trades but if it’s something really interesting... please just pm

i thought this had sold for the third time yesterday - it didn’t work out again!

1 hour ago, MB1 said:

...A Local Sold or Still Available type BUMP!

Thanks Martin, it's still here and still rather lovely.  All packed and ready to go if there are any takers (and now with next day shipping included!)

3 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

Nice bass - I don't suppose you have any sound clips?

Hi, thanks for the very kind comment - I'm afraid that I don't have any clips (and unfortunately, don't have a means of producing any - another in that great pantheon of skills that has eluded me).  This is probably pointless, but with the bridge pickup solo or favoured it sounds like a fairly nasal jazz, though with a bit more edge - and even a bit more volume than the Fenders I've had.  On the neck pickup (solo or favoured) and played towards the neck, it's mellow and fat but retains its definition (all IMO of course!)  

• MB1 locked this topic