Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt-Roy plays The Clash

Marky L

Well, I never did.
So I'm wasting time at work and have a look on the centre for all misinformation - wikipedia - at Paul Simonon's page to discover that on the majority of tracks on Cut The Crap and also Rock Casbah, the bass tracks were actually laid down by Mr Norman Watt-Roy.

Wow, I need to go back and listen to these and see if it's obviously Norman. I never knew this fact (if it is correct) and I wonder why it was Norman doing the duties on these.

[quote name='Marky L' post='400998' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:38 PM']Well, I never did.
So I'm wasting time at work and have a look on the centre for all misinformation - wikipedia - at Paul Simonon's page to discover that on the majority of tracks on Cut The Crap and also Rock Casbah, the bass tracks were actually laid down by Mr Norman Watt-Roy.

Wow, I need to go back and listen to these and see if it's obviously Norman. I never knew this fact (if it is correct) and I wonder why it was Norman doing the duties on these.[/quote]

I think he was reponsible for Sandinista too.

It's a crazy fact isn't it? Although as far as i know Topper Headon actually played bass on Rock the Casbah. Norman was drafted in to play on some of the Clash's recording sessions in New York, this was because Paul was actually acting in a film which was shooting in Vancouver at the time. It was Micky Gallagher playing organ for the Clash and I'd imagine it was him who got Watt Roy as they were band mates in The Blockheads. However i also read that when Simonon rejoined the recording sessions in New York he actually rerecorded and rewrote Watt Roy's parts. I do still find it fascinating though.

Kev

According to the wiki article, Strummer and Jones laid the bass down for early Sandanista! recordings which Paul re-recorded on his return from filming.

Also Jones and the engineer may have laid down some bass tracks on Combat Rock.

So what was Simonon up to? Doesn't take that long to splatter a bit more Jackson Pollock stylee paint up yer bass!! Maybe he was on "rolling fat ones" duty?? ;)

[quote name='ezbass' post='401989' date='Feb 6 2009, 01:35 PM']Norman is the absolute MAN. A really nice guy in the flesh too.[/quote]

Very true, nice bloke.

Me and NWR (and two other very nice blokes Messrs McBrain and Dickinson)

Edited by neilb