Why become a member? ×

Show Yer Age! Name an EPIC song from your teens...

binky_bass

The songs I couldn’t get away from 1987-1993 when I was a teenager, meeting likeminded musical mates and just starting playing in bands. 

Guns N Roses - Paradise City

Extreme - Get the Funk Out

Iron Maiden - The Trooper (ok this is from 1983 but I didn’t know about it until later)

Which part of your teens though?

3 Epic songs from when I was growing up, though not necessarily from the time that I was growing up:

The Pre-Teen Years:

• Hawkwind: Lord of Light (the Space Ritual version) My older brother was into Hawkwind, so I heard this late 70's/early 80's. Blown away by the clarity and the driving nature of the bass line.
  • Black Sabbath: A Spiral Architect. Again, thanks to my older brother, I was introduced to Sabbath around the same time, but this song is just superb.
  • Rush: Jacobs Ladder / Natural Science: OK, 2 songs off the same album. The first Rush album I bought when it came out, played it to death. Simply excellent songs off an underrated album.

The Teen Years:

• Celtic Frost: The Usurper
  • Voivod: Ravenous Medicine
  • Discharge: Possibility of Life's Destruction

Could be here all day listing songs... :D 

• Like 1

I became a teenager in the mid fifties and there was a lot of dross about, it was called dance music. But there were some jewels that stood out. Fats Domino playing My Blue Heaven. That Scotty Moore solo in Elvis’s Blue Suede Shoes. And I was playing Twist and Shout before the Beatles recorded it. 

But it was mainly jazz back then.

A lot happened musically in my teens, and I’d be here forever noting all the tracks, which would still be amongst my favourite tracks now. Also, depends on context. If it’s songs that happened when I was in my teens, that may not necessarily be the same as songs that I discovered whilst in my teens. For instance I didn’t discover Supper’s Ready til about 15 or so, but it came out when I was about 9. Ditto Silver Machine.

For songs that came out whilst I was in my teens (although a couple may be borderline) some standouts  ( a few amongst hundreds) would be:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Follow You Follow Me - Genesis

Dancing Queen - ABBA

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel

The Man With The Child In His Eyes - Kate Bush

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Antisocial - Trust

Bomber - Motorhead

Jane - Jefferson Starship

Turning Japanese - The Vapors

Israel - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Spirit of Radio - Rush

Go Wild In The Country - Bow Wow Wow

On 14/02/2020 at 16:00, binky_bass said:

On a hideous drink fueled listening binge... curious to know what songs you consider to be absolute staples of your youth. 

There are many of course, so let's say 3 per head.

Dark Star - Grateful Dead

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed -- Allman Brothers Band

Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin

On 15/02/2020 at 11:43, Rich said:

. In fact I can pinpoint my precise "whoa, wtF is this??" moment...

That is a VERY good way of looking at this I think, for me, without any doubt, they were:-

Seven Seas Of Rye

Virginia Plain

Silvia*

3 tunes that so jarred me out of just listening to what my parents liked, and made me want to explore that big wide world of music.

*To be fair though this was on my dads copy of Focus 3 (so it was technically a song my parent liked)

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 11:43, Rich said:

In fact I can pinpoint my precise "whoa, wtF is THIS??"

Without question, the intro to “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”. I clearly remember coming in from school and my older brother was playing it in the back room. I was absolutely gobsmacked. I didn’t know music like that could possibly exist; it completely blew my mind. 

• Like 1

1. Hellraiser by Sweet. 

First tune to send me.  I must have been about 10. Played it as loud as I could, came round on the sofa after leaping about the room, possessed. The music literally reached inside me and threw me around. It's the same high I still look for now onstage. 

2. Johnny The Fox by Thin Lizzy.

The lyrics fascinated me, the bass grabbed me, the voice and guitars had me. I clearly remember listening to it for the first time. Still love it. 

3. Going Underground by The Jam.

Heard it in the car bring driven to a family wedding by my parents. Radio 1 round table. From the very first chords I knew I was in love. Spent that weekend just counting down the time before I could go buy it at our local record shop. Still thrills me. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

Fascinating to look through these and pick out the Basschatters I know I could happily share a long car journey with, content that the music would be great. 

Edit: also it shows just how many struggle to count to three! 😅

Edited by stewblack
  • Haha 2

hmm the ones that real take me back to happy days in my teen years . More than three but there ya go

Mr Solitaire by Animal Nightlife,  Sunset Now by Heaven 17, Male Stripper by Man to Man meets Man Parrish, Theme from S'Express by S Express, Criticize by Alexander O'Neal  and French Kiss by L'il Louis. So rock n roll me ☺️

On 15/02/2020 at 08:10, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Block Buster by The Sweet in 1973.

They followed that up in the same year with Hell-raiser and The Ballroom Blitz and my trajectory was set.

Almost same for me in my early teens.

Blockbuster - Sweet

Ballroom Blitz - Sweet

T.rex - Truck On Tyke

Mud - Dynamite

Edited by dmccombe7