Why become a member? ×

Show Yer Age! Name an EPIC song from your teens...

binky_bass

So hard to choose just 3.

1. Apache - The Shadows

2. Buddy Holly - That'll Be The Day

3. Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes

Someone needs to list a Jerry Lee Lewis & a Chuck Berry and an Everly Bros.

Edited by grandad
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The first songs to make me really sit up and take notice:

3. On My Radio -- The Selecter

2. One Step Beyond - Madness

and the daddy:

1. Gangsters - The Specials

Blimey, too close for comfort - I was going for Too Much Too Young though. First genre musical movement I got into.

• Like 1

Seeing as i'm an old git...

1,Up around the bend-Creedence Clearwater Revival.

2 . Silver Machine-Hawkwind

3 Layla-Dek and the doms.

There's a place up ahead and I'm goin'
Just as fast as my feet can fly
Come away, come away if you're goin'
Leave the sinkin' ship behind
Come on the risin' wind,
We're goin' up around the bend
Oh

Edited by Mickyk
Thought i'd post some lyrics.

On 15/02/2020 at 11:09, Mykesbass said:

First genre musical movement I got into.

Likewise. I was pretty 'meh' about music till then. In fact I can pinpoint my precise "whoa, wtF is THIS??" moment... The Specials doing Gangsters on Top Of The Pops. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, obbm said:

Actually what really changed the world for me was seeing Little Richard backed by Sounds Incorporated live in 1962.  A life changing experience.

Sounds Inc were quite busy in those days. They backed Jerry Lee Lewis in Reading in ‘63.

Ok, as I've always listened to music, I'll have to divide it in two parts.

The early years :

(We are) The Road Crew by Motörhead (I was 15 years old when the album was released, what a revelation). 

Suburban Berlin by Japan (14 years old when it went out, I liked everything in that tune, took me some time to love the album).

Eruption + You Really Got Me by Van Halen (a year earlier, that tapping part and this monster cover, wow).

The uni years :

Dirty Old Town by The Pogues (this was our drunken anthem that we used to sing very loud everywhere in response to the stupid students songs).

Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus (we played it very loud after parties, waking up all mates at the same floor).

We had Love by The Scientists (I was waking up with this single played to the max, that opening bass part was just fantastic).

Edited by Hellzero
Two parts

Pretty Vacant - The Sex Pistols

If The Kids Are United - Sham 69

Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & Blockheads

Was difficult to only pick three, and all of these were out just before I was in my teens but they stayed with me throughout my school years til I left.

• Like 2

The Beatles "Twist and Shout" It showed me music could be more than simply something to sing along or dance too. It was, and still is, primal in its intensity. And I wasnt even a teenager at the time, about 10 years old.  It still makes the hair on my neck stand up with excitement.

I was a teenager in the 1960s when Radio Caroline changed my world, along with the Beatles (and a cute little blonde girl I used to walk home from school!).  There are countless songs I could list but I'll go with "River Deep, Mountain High" by Ike & Tina Turner.  When that blasted out of my small transistor radio it stopped me in my tracks.  Aretha Franklin and "I Ain't Never Loved A Man" was another show stopper.