Why become a member? ×

** SOLD ** Hofner Artist 185 - 60's £370
£370
East Herts

Sharkfinger

Full disclosure, this was a pure eBay impulse buy between sets at one of my gigs. I hit upon it in the last few moments of the auction and as it was going for a crazy low price I thought 'why not'?  Probably because the auction was ending at 10:30 pm on a saturday night.  I'm going to pass that crazy low price onto a lucky basschatter.

It's a lovely vintage old thing, looks to be made in Germany with the nice pickup switches on the pickguard, vol/vol and tone/tone knobs.

Why am I selling it so quickly?  The honest truth is I really don't get on with the narrow string spacing at the bridge it feels completely alien to me.  Strangely, it doesn't feel short scale, probably because the bride is quite far into the body.  It probably takes medium scale strings.

Sounds exactly like you think it does: thumpy, deep and rich.  Helped buy the fact it has the oldest strings I've ever seen in my life. They're completely unmatched.  Different (new) strings could well make it sound completely different and I would change them if keeping it.

Original 'snake skin' vinyl wrap finish on the body with slight discoloration here and there.  Black painted neck with lovely Hofner badge on the headstock and mother of pearl looking 'bar' inlays.

Tuners not as spritely as they used to be (who is?) but do their job.  They seem to want to remind you of their age while they're doing it.

Pickups are fine as stated but the pots are old and crackly.  Don't forget this bass is well over half a century old!

Pickup is preferred, so you can try it out and know exactly what you're getting. Doesn't feel particularly fragile but just don't trust couriers with something of this vintage.

However, I live in East Herts and work in West Herts during the week and gig in Essex at the weekend.  Drop off or meet up is possible for free if it's on my way or can drive out of my way for fuel cost.

Price is firm.  Would look at medium/short scale basses as a trade but only if they're really light and don't neck dive.

Edited by Sharkfinger
  • Like 2