Why become a member? ×

Why be in a covers band?

Dave Vader

I think it ultimately depends on what your motivation for playing is. I love playing bass and I enjoy the odd gig, but most of all I love the process of coming up with and developing new ideas. I'm 53, and for me, this motivation remains undimmed by the years.

Covers bands have their place and can be fun to listen to, although personally I'd rather they tried to put some kind of twist on the songs that they play, rather than mindlessly regurgitate the original version verbatim.

Tribute bands though? Seems a little too close to musical theatre for my tastes, all that dressing up as Bono or some other silly billy. It's not exactly rock n roll, is it? In fact it all seems pretty naff. But lots of people seem to like it, so what do I know? The public wants what the public gets, right?

Nothing wrong with covers. My only criteria are 

1) Play it well - nothing more excruciating than a ropey band doing an awful cover because no-one can play the original parts.

2) Put some personality into it - some songs need certain aspects to remain as per the original but many songs give a live band the opportunity to put their own personality into it. Switch up the groove, play with the song sequence a bit. This is much more interesting and exciting than just playing the covers rote (and it’s what the band that wrote the song does live anyway), but retaining the familiarity and hence undying adulation from your audience ;)

Any band you're in - covers or original - is what you make of it.

I've been in many of both of the above and luckily had a decent level of success (e.g.main  originals band had Euro/Jap CD release and played huge Euro festivals.... tribute band played all over Europe and Japan.... current covers band/show packs theatres),

A band is only as good/rewarding as the effort you put in.... it makes no difference if it's originals or covers. It's all about doing 'what you do' WELL. Positive audience feedback, re-bookings and happy, smiling, faces at the end of the night... coupled with phrases along the lines of "you guys were fantastic"..... and hopefully a few quid in your pocket.

Being anti-tribute, anti-covers or any other such nonsense just limits your playing and performing opportunities, networking angles and life /travel experiences...

Edited by cetera
spelling
  • Like 6

I think a lot of originals artists flog a dead horse. If your music is popular and people come to your gigs without you having to bribe them or lever them out, you build a following fairly quickly. Then that’s great. But I think you need to recognise that your mum will come to any gig whatever you play, it’s your sisters mates you need to convince. 

And in a covers band, if people are requesting that you play something they know, then learn some different tunes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What about real women? 

Are PJ basses beyond the pale?

And what if, like me, you don't happen to be pale? 

😁

A real man can be any colour, as can a real woman (or anything made up in between), but the colour of his/her/it's bass will certainly reflect the soul...😀

• Haha 1

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

A real man can be any colour, as can a real woman (or anything made up in between), but the colour of his/her/it's bass will certainly reflect the soul...😀

What have you been smoking at work this morning dear chap? 😂

• Haha 1

Question for covers bands - does your audience come specifically to see your band or do you play to whatever audience is already at the pub?

My experience both as a musician and as an audience member is that the vast majority of the audience come with the venue rather than the band, and unless the live entertainment is particularly dire they will be there regardless of who is playing.

• Like 1

It's very similar to that of originals bands - if you build a following/gain a reputation for being a good band, then people will come to see you rather than just turn out. Obviously, pubs are almost always free to the punter, so they're much more populated than venues where there's a door charge.

Oh, and the money's better. 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Question for covers bands - does your audience come specifically to see your band or do you play to whatever audience is already at the pub?

My experience both as a musician and as an audience member is that the vast majority of the audience come with the venue rather than the band, and unless the live entertainment is particularly dire they will be there regardless of who is playing.

Not necessarily, it depends on both the venue and the band. 

Covers bands can certainly develop a large following. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Real men only need a 4 string P bass.....

Hang on, I'll pop upstairs and count the strings on my Precision..

1, 2, 3, 4….that's all it's got - same number as my three Jazz basses and my lovely Sandberg.

I've still got a six string, but only because no one has bought it yet! Not been played for four months now.

• Like 1