Why become a member? ×

Amp flight cases (Do they boom when you put an amp on top?)

Jack

Hi all,

Recently I have

1) been gigging lots more than before, and this is set to continue
2) downsized to a small and light Fender Stage 800 combo
3) been totally unable to find an amp stand that isn't terrible
4) watched my guitarist buy an excellent flight case for his Vox AC30

all of which has made me think I might fancy one of the rolling flight cases for my amp. I'd like to use this as a stand when on stage, with my amp on top. But I'm thinking, would it resonate? Like would it boom on certain notes and such or are they sturdier than that? It didn't when I tried on my guitarist's case but that's not really a complimentary shape and my amp overhangs a little on his case. Would a similarly sized case to my amp resonate?

Does anyone use a case like this? What's your opinion on them both as a stand and as a method of transport? There's no way I would have considered them before but I was surprised at how light my guitarists one was (a case with my featherweight Fender 800 in will still weigh less than some amps do naked) and how good of a stand it makes on stage. 

All input is much appreciated.

3 hours ago, KiOgon said:

Maybe - but a good plan is to stuff any surplus clothing, outdoor wear etc.etc. in the empty case, double whammy, especialy if it's a muffle coat 😃

Considering one of my bands is a *shudder* indie rock band there are usually 3 parkas at any given gig. As a recovering teenage goth I don't have a parka and it's been a while since I wore my leather trenchcoat.

3 hours ago, Taylor beach-blues said:

my 15'' cab on the floor,  if i take the 2 x 10'' cab, yes it sits on a flight case,  boom isn't the problem,  its every catch, castor and spring loaded handle that has an opinion at different times,  i assume no-one else hears it but me though.

Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought about rattles too. Thanks for pointing that out.

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Lots of bands play live with amps/combo's on top of flight cases. 

Lots of bands use cables that aren't black as well but that doesn't make it morally acceptable. :P Seriously I can think of several times I've seen guitarists do this but never a bassist AFAIK.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

So what is it you think is going to be different for a bassist than a guitarist?

Guitar amps don't boom hollow stages or rattle snares, they generally seem to interact with the environment less.

What's the underlying problem - you can't hear yourself?  What have you tried which hasn't worked?  Can the rest of the band and the audience hear you ok?

Raising the cab so high (60cm) can potentially affect how things sound - I think due to the direct sound and the indirect sound (from floor bounce) ending up out of phase, cancelling out low mids.

Won't a flight case for an 18kg Rumble 800 be at least 25kg?

As for the general practicability of rolling flight cases - they're great if your van has a ramp and the venue load-in is easy, flat/ramped, and wide.  But can quickly become a pain if you encounter any steps or narrow doorways/corridors.  Also over time a flight case is more likely to mark your vehicle and doorways in wherever your store the equipment.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

What's the underlying problem - you can't hear yourself?  What have you tried which hasn't worked?  Can the rest of the band and the audience hear you ok?

Raising the cab so high (60cm) can potentially affect how things sound - I think due to the direct sound and the indirect sound (from floor bounce) ending up out of phase, cancelling out low mids.

Won't a flight case for an 18kg Rumble 800 be at least 25kg?

As for the general practicability of rolling flight cases - they're great if your van has a ramp and the venue load-in is easy, flat/ramped, and wide.  But can quickly become a pain if you encounter any steps or narrow doorways/corridors.  Also over time a flight case is more likely to mark your vehicle and doorways in wherever your store the equipment.

Yeah it's not being able to hear myself on stage. Combo sound is mostly just for me but the stages we play are small enough that some of it will make it into the audience.

I used to use a Quicklok stand that both lifted and tilted my cab but it gave out once between soundcheck and downbeat, dropping the combo onto the rear control panel with all the cables still attached. I essentially had the whole ~20kg combo fall 50cm onto the XLR output. It's really dented in, but miraculously both it and the cable that were plugged still works. I'm now back to my Markbass wedge but it's not enough and the combo is still pointed at my knees. The other problems that I have are that this new amp has controls on the top, meaning I can't really stack anything on top of it either at home or at a gig. Secondly, the combo is really light but it's only got one flimsy handle on top, actually making it quite difficult to carry long distances.  Lastly, I bought this amp second hand and it came with a Roqsolid cover but it's the flimsiest dust cover, so whatever happens I need to buy something to protect the amp.

I know that buying a matching an extension cab or a monitor wedge will solve the hearing myself problem but it's a lot of extra weight and space to carry. My thinking was that a flight case doesn't take up too much more room in the car, is a great stage stand (on wheels so it's easy to plug cables in!) and means I wouldn't have to take my trolley to gigs.

• Like 1

I’ve seen a good few bands do this, guys who’ve been pros for 20/30 years and it seems to work ok for them. Maybe it’s not scientifically and technically perfect but if it achieves the aim then great.

And there’s a thread now in General Discussion where the bassist from Fairport Convention was doing exactly this. 

Edited by Lozz196