Why become a member? ×

In praise of battered basses

Owen

I have more basses than I need. I have two 4 strings that I NEVER play in anger, both nitro paint and well beaten up. But the pleasure I get from picking them up and noodling while not having to worry about donking the chair or desk or belt or whatever is a thing of joy. The 5 strings I use are all "newer" and posh and I really miss not having to worry about donking them. It almost makes me want to string one up BEAD and dump the rest.

Proper 1st world problems.

Edited by owen
usual lazy typing malarkey
  • Like 2

Yep, my main gigging bass for my last band has a good few knocks, I bought it with some of them and have contributed to the rest. I bought a bass with knocks already there so I wouldn’t be precious about it, being on the punk/Oi scene it was fairly inevitable that bits of gear would take a knock or two.

I love a judicious dink whether it’s either as a finish option or indeed happened of its own accord.

Its like the third child syndrome - the first one especially you treat like a china doll, by the time you get to the third you realise they bounce and they fend for themselves, so you just crack on.

• Like 1

I'd go further and say that on the rare occasion I've bought new I've got rid shortly after - no personality, and they just seemed 'dead' in my hands.  This is the only factor that lies between me and the commissioning of a new £12000 Fodera. ;)

• Like 3

I have a tiny scuff on one of my basses which has only happened to me once in all my time playing, and that was through a gigbag on one of those knobbly paving slabs they put along tube platforms... I have never bashed a symbol or clattered into anything with any of my gear. Despite playing in very energetic metal bands in my youth. 

I can’t say the aforementioned scuff in the finish of one of my basses affects my enjoyment of playing it, but I still wish I hadn't done it. 😞 

Flawless, clean gear for me given the choice. I always wipe everything down after playing and keep on top of fretboard oiling etc. I don’t want anything damaged or grubby.

I paid money I had to earn for my gear and want to keep it in top condition 😊

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 3

Lets see your collection then Owen - photo per chance

I always feel you either own or have owned every bit of kit i have ever wanted. As i haven't bought anything from you for a while It would be nice to dream about what could come my way in the future 😄   don't knock um about too much

3 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

Lets see your collection then Owen - photo per chance

I always feel you either own or have owned every bit of kit i have ever wanted. As i haven't bought anything from you for a while It would be nice to dream about what could come my way in the future 😄   don't knock um about too much

They are very nice dinked four strings (the ones I’ve seen)

5 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

I have a tiny scuff on one of my basses which has only happened to me once in all my time playing, and that was through a gigbag on one of those knobbly paving slabs they put along tube platforms... I have never bashed a symbol or clattered into anything with any of my gear. Despite playing in very energetic metal bands in my youth. 

I can’t say the aforementioned scuff in the finish of one of my basses affects my enjoyment of playing it, but I still wish I hadn't done it. 😞 

Flawless, clean gear for me given the choice. I always wipe everything down after playing and keep on top of fretboard oiling etc. I don’t want anything damaged or grubby.

I paid money I had to earn for my gear and want to keep it in top condition 😊

You must be either very coordinated or very lucky. 😁 I’ve walked into doors, had them fall off straps, opened cases only to have things fall on them, you name it. I once picked up a cup of tea and the mat - which was metal - came with it and flew through the air and straight across the front of my main bass, which was leaning on a nearby chair.  I think I pick up at least one ding or scratch at every gig. And the more I try to avoid them, the more they happen. In fact I once put my first pristine Alembic SC in its case, opened the case the next day and there was a ding in the side of the bass. I have absolutely no idea how it got there, unless the missus was secretly rocking out to School Days. 😉

21 hours ago, owen said:

The 5 strings I use are all "newer" and posh and I really miss not having to worry about donking them.

I’ve a dinged 5 I’ll swap for one of your dinged 4 next time we’re visiting friends in your part of the woods!! :D 

When my brand new Stingray fell off a shoddy stand and got the smallest nick in the headstock I was the only person in my band not sh!tting my pants. Its not a Star Wars action figure to spend its life vacuum sealed and never experiencing joy. If there's no dings in a bass has it ever been played properly? Dings are an occupational hazard, cramped stages, rushed set ups, finding a punter pawing your gear during the pee break, it's all part of what happens. 

• Like 2