Why become a member? ×

It's been 10 years...Sentimental post incoming

BassAgent

10 years ago, my brother and I did this:
IMG_0179.thumb.jpg.c10f66ae47d16a23e8dd7ff10d4ac6bb.jpg
We participated in a Dutch TV quiz. While driving to the final round in my Fiat Panda, we fantasized about what we would do with the prize money. My brother (a drummer) said he'd have a drum kit built, and I said I'd buy a vintage Fender bass.
Not long before that I was at Paul's Bass Matters here in NL to have some coffee and drool over vintage Fenders, as I did pretty often back then because I lived very close to his shop. That specific time, I played on a 1966 Jazz that was absolutely perfect for me. It had everything. The colour was right, dots & binding on the neck, sound, feel, the lot. But then there was the price. The 19-year-old me thought he'd never be able to afford this kind of bass.

And then we won. The prize money was more or less exactly the price of that bass. I don't recall it exactly but I think I sent Paul an e-mail that very day stating "please hold the bass for me, I'm coming for it". And so, a day before my 20th birthday, exactly 10 years ago, I drove to Nijmegen to pick up my favourite bass of all time. I take it to pretty much every recording session I do, and especially since it got some new frets last year, it's seeing more stages again. What a bass. Everything is absolutely perfect.
IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.000c5422a1a81b734001812254217c5b.jpgDSC01301.thumb.jpg.b0fd564d11df4fab4b04fc94511f7cff.jpg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Great story!  Nice to see someone refretting a vintage bass without worrying about devaluing it, I would do exactly the same.  For me, they are tools of the trade and should be used instead of being hung on a wall or in a cabinet.

Surely the frets should be seen as "consumables" just like the strings, otherwise if you play it to death you're then going to knacker the fingerboard and sound like crap with unevenly worn frets everywhere?! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Surely the frets should be seen as "consumables" just like the strings, otherwise if you play it to death you're then going to knacker the fingerboard and sound like crap with unevenly worn frets everywhere?! 

I agree, but try telling that to a vintage Fender purist!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Richard R said:

What a birthday present!  
Did your brother get his drum kit?

Yes! He had a gorgeous drum kit built in Finland.

15 hours ago, acidbass said:

Great story!  Nice to see someone refretting a vintage bass without worrying about devaluing it, I would do exactly the same.  For me, they are tools of the trade and should be used instead of being hung on a wall or in a cabinet.

13 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I think it also depends on whether your bass is original to begin with: mine was already refinished, had two screws replaced and was without the original case. 

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

Yes! He had a gorgeous drum kit built in Finland.

I think it also depends on whether your bass is original to begin with: mine was already refinished, had two screws replaced and was without the original case. 

If I was buying a vintage Fender two screws being replaced wouldn't bother me really. Better than having old screws so worn you can't get them out. 

5 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

We do! We play together in a 2 Tone ska tribute (but I play guitar there), and we play in Violet Hour, an americana band. Debut EP upcoming :) We've been playing together practically non stop for the last 20 years.

What a great track, Underground Railroad , I really like that 👍

I must admit, this story had a much happier ending than I though it would from the title and the way it started. I thought it was going to end along the lines of "sadly my brother was killed a day later when accidentally wandered in to a blind cannibal orgy and to make matters worse, when I got home I realised I'd actually bought a Marlin Jazz Bass, not a Fender". 

Firstly, congratulations on you both surviving(!!) and secondly on owning such an amazing bass with a great story of how you "won" it :)

• Haha 1

I had a similar if much, much lower budget experience aged 14.

On holiday in Ireland I bought a mars bar from the local shop, opened it and promptly won £100.

Back home, some scouring of the local copy of Loot turned up a Westone Thunder 1A which I promptly bought. It was a serious step up from the battered, no name school bass with two strings (both A) that I'd started on.

Stupidly sold the Westone a few years later to fund a fender jazz. No pics either.

Edited by colleya
Grammar