Why become a member? ×

Who influenced Elvis & Chuck Berry?

Grangur

Big Rosetta fan here, her music is primal and thrilling with a life story to match. Unfortunately being black and female she seems to have been deleted from popular music history. 

Frank Turner recently released a song about her, with an accompanying podcast which is both fascinating and enlightening.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/frank-turners-tales-from-no-mans-land/id1470096231?i=1000443504606 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1

Sister Rosetta Tharp is unique and very influential talent. I'm glad she finally got into the R&R Hall of Fame. She deserved to be there a long time ago.

If you want to look at Tharp's influences, then Charlie Patton is probably as far back as we can go with any certainty when trying to discover the origins of modern music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trueno said:

I think Elvis was also influenced by Mahalia Jackson.

Also Big Mama Thornton, who recorded 'Hound Dog' a few years before Elvis.

Sister Rosetta was a force to be reckoned with, and did not receive recognition early enough. The clip above is ace!

Re Chuck Berry, one of his main influences was T-Bone Walker who Chuck openly admitted he borrowed a lot of stuff from. Interesting little video here to demonstrate!

• Like 1

There are loads of great compilations of the early recordings that influenced Elvis and they are all fantastic. I think stuff like Rocket 88 and Big Mama Thornton is just incredible. To think there wasn't really a blueprint like there is for modern day artists. It just blows my mind.