Why become a member? ×

Covers band players. Nail it or close enough?

krispn

Covers band- nail the original part or close enough  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try and copy the original bass part in your covers band or is it ‘close enough is good enough’?

• I like to nail it
    • Close enough
    • I like to embellish and expand upon the original
    • I dumb it down nobody will notice
    • I like to adapt the original bass part to suit our bands style

Close Enough for me.  I might chuck in the odd twiddle or improvisation, but nothing head turning.  I generally play the bassline as per the book, although sometimes I may play it my own way elsewhere on the fretboard if I think theres a benefit.  But generally close enough is good enough - perfection is rarely worth the effort, and I do it for the craic, not because I'm trying to impress Simon Cowell. 

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 22:34, Woodinblack said:

Yes, similar here. If there is something iconic in the bassline, or well known I will copy that, or if it is something I really like I will too 

21 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Other Whitesnake versions are available...thankfully!  I play the lines from Live in London as played by Marco Mendoza

That's one of the iconic ones for me, but like what I meant, there are some iconic parts to it, I wouldn't expect a note for note performance on it, it was always  different when played (and Neil Murray said as much on here), but I am always a little disappointed if it doesn't have that two descending scale run under the "fool for your loving" part of the chorus.

I voted for "close enough" and I don't mean that in a lazy way.  Some of these songs are originally played by bass gods plural and I am nowhere near being even a single demi-god ;)  I'm not 'Arry and frankly speaking, getting to the end of Hallowed Be Thy Name having completed all sections in the right order (however I blundered through them) with my hands still attached to my wrists is an achievement in itself for me.

Simpler lines, sure I like to nail them (I'd be really annoyed if I couldn't nail something like Foo Fighters "Learn to Fly" for example - not a slight on the song or the bassist, it's a nice line that suits the song but it isn't difficult) and I confess that I just make stuff up as I go along in the solo of Smoke on the Water.

So really, I think I could have voted for "All of the above" if it was an option...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, r16ktx said:

image.thumb.png.7ee4163641c4b44a1112c5c13a6f7014.png

Yesterday there was a teeny bit of a (self inflicted - ie I’d switched to the wrong pickup which was volume zero’d) problem in the first song, which meant no bass at all.

Afterwards I asked around: the acoustic guitarist had noticed, but she’s a bass player anyway, the sound man noticed, as he should, but no-one else, not even Mrs B, noticed!!

Brings you sown to earth a bit........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Yesterday there was a teeny bit of a (self inflicted - ie I’d switched to the wrong pickup which was volume zero’d) problem in the first song, which meant no bass at all.

Afterwards I asked around: the acoustic guitarist had noticed, but she’s a bass player anyway, the sound man noticed, as he should, but no-one else, not even Mrs B, noticed!!

Brings you sown to earth a bit........

Maybe it depends on your group. I was playing on friday and my battery died in my boss pedal that I hadn't plugged in. Trust me, everyone noticed!