Why become a member? ×

Amateur musician vs professional musician: which are you?

peteb

Why "Verses". Its not a knockout competition. Aspirations aside we all do the best we can with the time we have for music. Some have, or chose to prioritise, lots of time for music, others have to fit it in around life. I like to think I am an amateur with a pro attitude. The only way I would have loved to be a pro would have been in a band with my mates playing and recording the music we had writen.  As for a hired hand or a session player, no thank you.

Edited by mikel
Spelling.
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Kazan said:

So if he makes more income from his YouTube videos than from playing, is he no longer a "professional musician"?

I think that his argument is that he is and that there are more income streams for pro musicians than just gigs and sessions etc. 

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that his argument is that he is and that there are more income streams for pro musicians than just gigs and sessions etc. 

I believe you're right. I just find him annoying and pedantic. He does make good, if obvious, points. I still believe one can be a pro while having a day job as well (I did 10+ years playing an easy 200 shows a year and had a better paid job that whole time - that was playing professionally despite his definition).

37 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Simplicity is a good lesson to learn. None of the guys I've played with like the "lead" bass player style of playing.

For me, the real difference between guys like me and decent pros is maintaining the consistency that he talks about. Very difficult to do while holding down a full time job. 

8 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I'll settle for happy musician . . . . . . . .

That's a good, but the point is no one has to "settle" for anything.

IMO the video is starting from the belief that most players will want to get better. The points are things that are not always obvious but knowing about them will help all players to improve in many areas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kazan said:

So if he makes more income from his YouTube videos than from playing, is he no longer a "professional musician"?

The one big thing I was taught at uni is the requirement to have what they called a portfolio of skills, so you earning from playing, teaching, arranging, maybe writing too. It’s all music, I don’t get up at 7am and spend all day working in a shop or factory. Yesterday I was at uni for a PhD thing, yesterday evening I was teaching, right now I’m doing PhD work, this afternoon I’m teaching. There’s very few people I can think of that only play.

• Like 3

I put quite some effort on acting and behaving as a pro, although I am not one: read music, transcribe, try to be in time, helping others, study continually more...

I wish I could be able to play only the right notes instead of all notes - this is probably the biggest difference between a real pro and me. Work continues...

• Like 1

I'm strictly a rank amateur, (emphasis on RANK), BUT that doesn't mean I don't work damned hard work hard to be the best I can be and keep working on it until they're nailing down the lid. I know my limitations but get huge joy from putting together some really cool riffs now and again. I really enjoy coming up with possible bass lines to stuff often quite different take to the original. I'd probably drive a covers band nuts, fortunately my playing pal puts up with my idiosyncrasies. I'm improving and learning all the time but that just leads me even further 'off-piste', so I can't even call myself a piste artist

Edited by dave moffat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikel said:

Why "Verses". Its not a knockout competition. Aspirations aside we all do the best we can with the time we have for music. Some have, or chose to prioritise, lots of time for music, others have to fit it in around life. I like to think I am an amateur with a pro attitude. The only way I would have loved to be a pro would have been in a band with my mates playing and recording the music we had writen.  As for a hired hand or a session player, no thank you.

Semi professional? 

I'm a bedroom musician. I play what I want and when I want to, no audience needed, stress free. Don't need to rely on drummers, egoism loading/unloading....

Oh and I can pull a face (like any other musician) when I play.

My only occasional enemy is GAS, so I never break margin.

• Like 1