Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain Nano Plus hard case

mikegatward

For anyone like me who finds the soft case to be a bit flimsy, I ordered one of these today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Hard-Aluminium-Flight-Case-Silver-Telescope-DJ-Van-Boot-RC-Helicopter-Box/233320049334?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I run a helix stomp and a DOD mini expression pedal on my board so reckon this will do the job just fine for 32 quid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For boards with pedals with knobs on, hard cases are great as your settings don't get rearranged as easily as with a bag. My old pedal board was just a hard case with the hinges replaced with butterfly catches so the deeper half came off and left the shallow half as the pedal board. The only disadvantage of that is the pedals aren't protected as much as they're velcroed to the inside of the hard case, next one I will do like you and get a case like that to fit, I've got a load of picky foam so I can have it hold the edges of the pedal board but not squish the knobs.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 15:58, mikegatward said:

I run a helix stomp and a DOD mini expression pedal on my board

Great shout for the hardcase, thanks!

Do you find that the I-Spot CS-12 has enough umph to power the HX Stomp? I seem to struggle with a Cioks DC5 Link under my nano board powering the Stomp.

• Like 1

Before you get into all that messy foam-carving stuff, it's worth just taking out the entire block of foam and putting in the original softcase for the Nano+ board.

Not only is it a perfect fit, but it also leaves you with an unused block of foam which is perfect for sculpting your favourite Star Wars character.

Just saying ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Before you get into all that messy foam-carving stuff, it's worth just taking out the entire block of foam and putting in the original softcase for the Nano+ board.

Not only is it a perfect fit, but it also leaves you with an unused block of foam which is perfect for sculpting your favourite Star Wars character.

Just saying ...

Didn’t think of that - then again, someone might buy my soft case from me to replace their worn out one 😄

• 2 weeks later...

... just ordered one for my first pedal build. It’s based around a HX Stomp with a Radial Tonebone Bass bone and a Korg Pitch Black tuner powered by a Coiks DC7. Got most of the bits now, however as it’s my first board, basics like cable routing and clearance are a learning experience to say the least lol. Really enjoying the whole process though. It all started with just getting the Stomp, then thought I’d carry on and build around that. I already had the Radial Bassbone, but even considering that I must have spent at least the same as the original cost of the Stomp, ha ha ha!

Edited by jimbobothy
Grammar

On 15/02/2020 at 14:33, BlueMoon said:

Great shout for the hardcase, thanks!

Do you find that the I-Spot CS-12 has enough umph to power the HX Stomp? I seem to struggle with a Cioks DC5 Link under my nano board powering the Stomp.

... the Stomp requires about 1 A to run (even though the PSU is rated at 3 A). The DC7 has variable outputs but can supply 660mA per output at 9V. They recommend using their parallel cable to combine 2 of their 9V outputs to give 1.32 A at 9V. There is a video on YT of them demonstrating this. 

I have also recently read that some users doing this kind of thing do have problems now and again.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 13/02/2020 at 15:38, mikegatward said:

A bit of buggering about with the supplied foam and packing out the lid foam a bit deeper and job done.

9FEFAEDB-EAF6-4A04-8C03-8B5166DAEE69.jpeg

I'm thinking of doing this, was there much room for cables, straps and that with the pedal board in? Cheers

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, IJE said:

Does anyone have an updated link to this product being sold these days? 

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-grey-flight-case-l550-x-w220-x-h175mm-with-foam-insert

Incidentally, if you happen to be running TWO Nano+ boards (which I do, one for my bass pedals and one for my vocal pedals) then you may also be interested in

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/large-protective-flight-case-l590-x-w360-x-h235mm-with-cubed-foam

although I notice that this seems to have been out of stock for a while.