Why become a member? ×

G&L L1000 passive tone control questions

bloke_zero

Hi!

I've been messing around with the basic PTB scheme on a bass I put together with a single nordstrand MM4.4 pickup (so I'm not using the switching - I've just a series/parallel switch).  I wasn't liking the sound too much as it it was until I started looking more at the L1000 schematic and adding the 200pf cap at the volume seemed to help a lot - like reduced the ear bleed treble and a sort of ringing that I had without it.

The circuit is here: passive_l_series_old.jpg

I sort of understand the basics (sort of!) of the circuit but I had some specific questions and I wondered if any one knew or could steer me to the right place to look.

The question I have are what does the 200pf cap across those pins on the volume do & what does the 6.8K resistor on the treble do?  I'm guess the 6.8K is just providing a static reduction to the treble?

Seems like this circuit is getting me where I want to be and I'm tempted to put in the OMG switch -see what it does to the Nordstrand.

Edited by bloke_zero

The 200pf cap across the vol is a treble bleed to preserve higher freqs when you turn the vol down. It has no effect when vol is fully up.

The 6.8k resistor on the treble prevents the cap going directly to ground and gives a smooth treble roll off with no resonant peak when fully down. Without the resistor (ie. normal Fender config) you get a bump when the tone is fully down.

43 minutes ago, ikay said:

The 200pf cap across the vol is a treble bleed to preserve higher freqs when you turn the vol down. It has no effect when vol is fully up.

The 6.8k resistor on the treble prevents the cap going directly to ground and gives a smooth treble roll off with no resonant peak when fully down. Without the resistor (ie. normal Fender config) you get a bump when the tone is fully down.

Thanks @ikay - maybe I confused the 2 things - I did them at the same time - but it sounds like I'm just hearings things - oh well - thanks!