Why become a member? ×

Combo Amp Stands

41Hz

I use folding steps  ( 2 steps in my case ) and the 15" size. They'll  take 130kg per step.  Should easily cope with any cab situation. I've attached some sturdy packing foam on mine.  Stops them sliding and gives the cabs grip, and helps isolates the vibes.  They fold flat for transporting which is the cherry on the cake

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Large-Multi-Purpose-Folding-Home-Foldable-Easy-Storage-Step-Stool-NEW/122610169608?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D9e06dfa9a3da45c5b997c461a02b3f27%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D330752479864%26itm%3D122610169608%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

20200211_180917.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

I had a quicklock one that lifts and tilts back. I really, really baby my gear and it wasn't worn out or abused at all but after about a year it went between soundcheck and the start of the first set. Entire combo landed on the back panel, or more appropriately the cables and jacks sticking out of the back panel. I consider myself very lucky that that only damage was the XLR out to the PA was bent inwards, it still works just fine but it could have been so much worse.

I'm back to using a Markbass wedge. It isn't as good but it won't collapse.

I bought a Quick Lok BS/317 combo stand. The spec states that it'll take up to 45kg, which I thought was ideal as my combo was 28kg...plenty of headroom. No. I went through 2 in a matter of weeks. They are dreadful, don't buy one. The adjustment/locking mechanism just won't take any weight at all. 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Quik-Lok-BS-317-Amp-Stand-For-Large-Amps-Combos/art-GIT0019894-000

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I bought a Quick Lok BS/317 combo stand. The spec states that it'll take up to 45kg, which I thought was ideal as my combo was 28kg...plenty of headroom. No. I went through 2 in a matter of weeks. They are dreadful, don't buy one. The adjustment/locking mechanism just won't take any weight at all. 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Quik-Lok-BS-317-Amp-Stand-For-Large-Amps-Combos/art-GIT0019894-000

I can just look and that and see the lock mechanism would NOT take my 43kg TE...

On 12/02/2020 at 19:16, Marvin said:

That is exactly the model from my 'dropped the combo onto the protruding cables' story.

• Like 1

I actually bought the large fender one after it was recommended by a friend. It is pretty sturdy and well made, but......... I took it to practice last night and preferred the sound with the amp on the floor. It lost quite a lot of low end on the stand and the tone was quite different.

Not sure whether to send it back, though it might come into its own on a boomy stage.

• 6 months later...

I use a Genz Benz Contour combo - great sound and not too heavy. When I'm gigging, if there's room in the car/van, I'll bring along the extension cab for the combo to sit on, but most of the time, I don't bother. I've been looking for something to direct a bit of the signal towards my ears and not at the back of my knees for ages. I don't trust the "tilt back" stands - with good reason as some of the posts above prove! I finally found this - A Millennium mixer stand from Thomann. It folds up to a sensible size and according to the spec, it's well capable of supporting my combo. Its a sensible price too - £37 incl P+P. My combo has been perched on one for a few days now and it hasn't fallen off and crushed anything yet. I'd be reticent to put anything too weighty on it, especially on it's highest setting, but it seems to be doing a great job at the moment...

11282652_800.jpg.258a6ded07e7751b22fba1912d037a7e.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_mixer_stand.htm?sid=c43730682627b18f9c23051cfeab8379

Edited by rushbo

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Wow, that's Trace Elliot land!

...and possibly ambitious. My combo comes in at a shade under 24 kilos and sits very happily on the stand, with the legs on the lowest setting. I wouldn't really want to go much higher or much heavier than that. It's mainly intended for mixer units, but there are a few positive reviews from people who use them to hold combos and PA speakers. Only time will tell, I guess, but the early signs are very good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rushbo said:

...and possibly ambitious. My combo comes in at a shade under 24 kilos and sits very happily on the stand, with the legs on the lowest setting. I wouldn't really want to go much higher or much heavier than that. It's mainly intended for mixer units, but there are a few positive reviews from people who use them to hold combos and PA speakers. Only time will tell, I guess, but the early signs are very good.

I suspect what is OK in a safe corner of a studio is very different from wobbling around on stage surrounded by rapidly moving bodies...