Why become a member? ×

1982 Fender JV Squier Precision Bass Sunburst
£850
St Agnes, Cornwall

simonroberts788

This is the nicest P bass I've ever had and it trounces any modern Fender in terms of looks, feel and tone. The body is lightweight at around 7 lbs (3 kg) and the neck has a gorgeous dark Brazilian rosewood fingerboard on beautiful yellowy maple that is visually excellent but feels well worn in after 38 years of playing. The neck is pencil dated 11 .1. 1982 and it has the original reverse tuners, which hold their tuning perfectly but are visually a bit tarnished and creak a wee bit when you're changing strings. This bass has been played and played and played and feels totally worn in with all the mojo. The body has a gorgeous old-style sunburst where the red and black have faded a bit in the sun, there's plenty of edge wear but the top is clean. The neck is tight in the neck pocket and I added a thin card shim to get the best action. The back of the body has a gouge by the neck plate a few other marks and lines in the finish. The tortoiseshell pickguard is the original one and looks amazing - it's shrunk a bit in a couple of places like the old ones do but it fits good overall. There are some added screw holes under the guard where the previous owner added a different guard. The pickup is the original one in a newer casing as the original one cracked (I still have it) and has just had one of its bobbins rewound by Bare Knuckle pickups so it's back to factory spec. The ground is soldered to the original copper shielding plate in the pickup cavity. The tone is thick and punchy with flatwounds but retains all the definition, drives the amp well and goes all Motown when you roll the tone off - ultimate P bass tone. Unfortunately. the previous owner lost the neck plate with the JV serial number when he tried a jazz neck on it (just bonkers huh?) so the bass comes with a similar one from a Vester bass. I thought about buying a replacement JV neck plate but that felt a bit wrong so I'm leaving it as is. A new blank plate is a few quid on ebay. The bridge is a more modern replacement although I have the original bridge with the threaded saddles but the outer two grub screws are seized meaning you can't get the outer string's action right. There's an extra two screw holes under the bridge where someone must have experimented with another bridge. The knobs look like they're more modern versions with slightly domed tops rather than the flat tops. Again these are a few quid on ebay. All in all this is a fantastic bass with tons of vintage mojo and it just oozes class from every viewpoint. It looks, sounds and feels as close as you can get to a vintage early 70s bass but without the £3k price tag. I'm gutted to have to sell it as this was supposed to be a keeper but bills are piling up. A perfect example would be over a grand so someone will get a great deal here. Comes with a Hiscox case. I'm down in Cornwall but would be happy to meet on the M5 somewhere for a quick sale. I'm open to different options and can ship if necessary.

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Edited by simonroberts788
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, vittoriosciascia said:

trade whit my fender american deluxe 4 strings?

Hey Vittorio - thanks for the enquiry but I'm keeping the bass at the moment unless someone wants to buy it for cash. Hope all is well with you and your family in these crazy times. Simon