Why become a member? ×

R. I. P. Lyle Mays

Bilbo

Me too! Loved his first two solo albums. PMG work was fine too. 'As Witicha Falls' a particular highlight of his. And let's not forget the bass connection with Jaco as part of of Joni Mitchell's Mingus back-up band with Pat, Mike Brecker and Don Alias. 

• Like 1

Yep, a real tough one to take in.  He hadn't been playing with PM, or indeed anyone for a while, and there was inevitable speculation.....had they fallen out? Had Lyle lost it and become a recluse?  And always at the back of the mind, the prospect of something like this. 

I saw the PMG several times and have many of their albums, and let's not forget the remarkable Shadows & Light by Joni Mitchell. All of those have formed part of my listening for several decades now. Much sadness here.

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I always think of his synth playing as some of the most organic and satisfying I have ever heard. It sounds 'real' not synthesised, if you see what I mean. 

key synth or synth on bass? And could you point me to some good examples of either please?