Why become a member? ×

Studio tragedy to triumph

Rich

TL;DR -- we had a power cut but managed it anyway.

As per my status update, I was in the studio with Train To Skaville this weekend. Set-up on Saturday afternoon, recording Sat evening and all day yesterday. Or at least, that was the plan.

The idea was to record 3 takes of each song 'live' as a band and patch up or cut/paste any hiccups after. We put 3 songs in the can on Saturday evening and had another 12 planned for Sunday. All was going well and we were blasting through take 2 of Rancid's "Time Bomb" when Ciara put the lights out...

We waited for a while -- "anyone want tea while we w... oh boIIocks" -- until a google revealed that half of Wiltshire was fecked and we were looking at probably a 6 hour wait. Hold on, says Gil the keys, I know a bloke who hires generators... could we make that work? A quick scout around the control room and some fag packet work and yeah, if we just plug in the bare bones of what we need and forget most of the rack gear then why not? Jim from Powerline turns up with his trailer genny and ten miles of electric spaghetti, and much plugging and trailing and swearing and we're back in business. We finished all the songs as planned, a bit later than planned but with a sense of triumph in the face of adversity. What a TOTALLY BRILLIANT weekend.

Here's engineer-producer Steve in the moodily-lit control room. The live room wasn't much brighter :lol:

PSX_20200210_222838.thumb.jpg.e3638420eafa3226459d4c85d05bf306.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 19