Why become a member? ×

New bass - Fender Vintera Mustang

kevin_lindsay

I just bought myself one of the Fender Vintera Mustang basses to add to my selection. It's the first short scale instrument I've owned, and it's fun to use. I find myself playing more "busily" than I would on a standard scale length bass. 

When I got the bass, the Pau Ferro fingerboard looked pretty dry and anaemic. So, Ioosened off the strings and set about dressing the fingerboard.  I scraped the board with a single edged razor blade to smooth off any raised grain in the wood, then buffed the board with super fine steel wool. 

The next stage was to apply lemon oil. This was left on the wood overnight to really soak in to the pores. In the morning I wiped off any excess left over. The end result is a board which now looks dark and lustrous, and feels super smooth to the touch. 

I've also received a set of medium scale La Bella flatwound strings to use (I got medium scale as short scale strings would only be usable on top loading short scale basses. The Vintera has the traditional "through body" stringing, so needs a slightly longer string length to accommodate this). I've also got a Nordstrand NM4 to use if I want (I mat also fit a couple of solid shaft CTS pots too, and a switch craft jack - just because I have a few unused ones in my "bass bits" stash at home. 

Oh, and the Hipshot lollipop tuners that come with the Bass are very cool!! 

Fingerboard - before, and after. 

IMG_20200207_130100.jpg

IMG_20200207_153527.jpg

IMG_20200210_210424.jpg

IMG_20200207_153600.jpg

IMG_20200207_153729.jpg

IMG_20200206_110452.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 12

I wemt for the slightly heavier gauge flats as I usually use 45 gauge rounds on my basses. Flats in the same gsuge tend to have less tension compared to rounds of the same thickness, so I we t for a thicker string. 

They may be thicker, but they're nowhere near the Jamerson La Bella - they're industrial strength!! 

Very nice Kev.  I think good flats transform a Mustang, I love em on my JMJ Mustang which I think is pretty much a Vintera but with the relic job and a rosewood board.  Only problem I have now is that I use Shorties for all the gigs so I practice on my long scale MMs to make sure I don't get lazy.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

out of interest, how do these generally balance? I tried a SS Squire Jaguar which had a very light (Agathis?) body and found if a drag due to neck dive.

Cheers

If it's like my JMJ Mustang (which I believe it is other than the relicing and the Pau Ferro) it likes to hang horizontally so not nasty neck dive as such.  To be fair most Mustangs I've tried/owned whether CIJ, MIM or MII have been like this, the only one I've had which has no neck dive whatsoever is a 2012 Mikey way sig Mustang which has a heavier Basswood body.

Edited by martthebass

3 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

Just for info, I don't think these strings are recommended for "through body stringing", there is a specific LaBella set for this. You may suffer a string break

Yes I think the La Bella 760F-MUS have a longer silk to pass through the body if I remember correctly.

Just had a look at mine and the string bends as it passes through the bridge plate on the silk rather than the flat winding, which is thing to avoid.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1