Why become a member? ×

* SOLD* 1984 Fender JV Precision black/rw
£900
London

Clarky

Lovely bass!

I have 2 JVs. One is a 1982 "Big Fender Logo" Tobacco Sunburst '57 Squier I bought new for £182 (in 1982 funnily enough!!), the other is a 1982 PB '57-95 Japanese domestic model in black with an anodised pickguard. Better (IMHO!) than anything from the US then or since! 

Yours is going to be one of three models. It's definitely a Japanese domestic market PB'62, but it's either a PB '62-98 which was the higher spec one with US pickup, which spanned 1983 and 1984, or it could be a PB '62-75 from late '83 or a PB '62-80 which was '84, both of which had all Japanese parts, which was no bad thing, fantastic basses, and I've not played a JV which wasn't considerably better quality than any later MIJ Fenders.

Whatever it is, it's a damn fine instrument, has a lot less dings than either of mine (I gig both of mine weekly still!). Buy with confidence, it's worth every penny of the asking price! Hope that helps, good luck with the sale! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the details! The original importer of this bass was Pierre of Bass Freaks, the Brussels based retailer who handle quite a lot of JVs. Other than it being a 1984 JV (confirmed by Pierre) I did not have  any additional info so that is helpful indeed! It is a fine instrument in remarkable condition for a 36 year old bass and I didn't fit a tort scratchplate in the end as I figured it was best to leave the bass unmolested.

Incidentally, I will throw in a used set of La Bella 760 light flats and D'Addario black tapewounds in addition to the nickel rounds (either DR or Ernie Ball, not sure) its currently wearing. As well as the never-left-the-house GruvGear case https://gruvgear.com/products/gigblade-edge?variant=7405213024284

Edited by Clarky

For info, here is the JV page of the 1983 Fender Japan Catalogue.  Interestingly the second part of the model number is based on the cost of the instrument (a -98 was 98,000 yen, a -75 was (75,000), etc...  Using an inflation calculator that would make the new price of a Japanese domestic PB62-98 around £1075 today...

990876251_Screenshot2020-03-15at14_46_59.thumb.png.41474e8bda460e40688fea03bac2352c.png

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Thanks 1

To tidy this up, as there are various prices floating around:

Bass + never-left-house Gruvgear Edge semi-rigid case + three sets of strings (D'Addario black nylon tapewound, La Bella light flatwound and the nickel rounds its currently wearing) = £900 collected (while observing social distancing)

£925 delivered to UK, £950 delivered to mainland Europe

Edited by Clarky

This week, as UPS are still running for now, an extra £25 discount on the prices mentioned above ... plus I will throw in the spare unfitted Rebelrelic tort guard (cost >£60) for nowt

PS, given the strange times in which we currently live, its sale only (ie, no trades). Cheers Clarky

Edited by Clarky

Final cut. If no takers, bass is going back in its case for happier days. New low prices  as follows:

Bass + never-left-house Gruvgear Edge semi-rigid case + three sets of strings (D'Addario black nylon tapewound, La Bella light flatwound, Ernie Ball [?] nickel rounds) + unfitted Rebelrelic tort guard = £850 collected (while observing social distancing)

£875 delivered to UK, £900 delivered to mainland Europe

Edited by Clarky

Withdrawing this as of today. 

PS. If you have found this in a search of the forum at a future date, send me a PM and I will see if meet-up or delivery is possible based on where we are at with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic
  • ped unlocked this topic

OK, back up FS as the courier system still seems to be functioning effectively and peeps still seem to be happy distance buying/selling.

I will drop price by £30 if I get to keep the black nylon flats and spare tort scratchplate, which would make prices:

Bass + never-left-house Gruvgear Edge semi-rigid case + two sets of strings (fitted La Bella light flatwound, Ernie Ball [?] nickel rounds)  = £845 delivered to UK, £870 delivered to mainland Europe

OVNO

Edited by Clarky

I am staggered this is still here!  This is going to be an amazing bass for the money... 

JV Precisions knock the pants off anything of similar age from Fender, and you'll be getting an aged bass with great character and mojo.

• Thanks 1

Last cut. £800 posted in the UK (48 hour economy delivery), to include GruvGear bag and with the bass wearing either La Bella flats (760FL; as seen in the pics above) or D'Addario black nylon flats.

Edited by Clarky