Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite examples of: Wah, Envelope Filter and Synth pedal sounds on Bass?

Dood

19 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Had to get me a Bassballs when I found out what made this glorious sound! As is, I still can't get it right, close but no cigar :D

You'd probably need to open it up and mess about with the trimpots to get it sounding this filthy, and of course David J was playing his usual Fretless precsion. The bass sweeper is a pretty good clone of the bass balls and brings the extra controls to the top for a wider variation in sound. I used to own an original 70s bass balls so I recognised the sound on this track as soon as I heard it. I still have the record but I have no idea what happened to the bass balls.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to make up a Youtube playlist out of these all when I get a moment - but for now, I have submitted all of the songs up until this am as part of a column in BGM. I'm sorry I cant name everyone who has offered such great examples as I was already nearly 80 words over my word count and had to trim a bit off my column text to fit it all in!

THANK YOU! There's some new songs in there that I hadn't heard before and that's what makes BC great.

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2020 at 19:03, gt4ever said:

I believe he got his tone through a DOD FX25b envelope filter.

I seem to remember that this particular track (sirpsychosexy)was a Mutron with a dying battery, that’s what gave the baseline the dirty filter sound. The entire album (Blood sugar sex magik) was played on a Wal. 

Earlier songs on the album are almost definitely a DOD fx25 though.

As a result of this thread I’ve been playing a lot of Flea lines, and the Chunk FX Agent 00 Funk gets really close, as it has a ‘clean’ knob that can be backed off to introduce some dirty, squelchy fun.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 11:38, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

You'd probably need to open it up and mess about with the trimpots to get it sounding this filthy, and of course David J was playing his usual Fretless precsion. The bass sweeper is a pretty good clone of the bass balls and brings the extra controls to the top for a wider variation in sound. I used to own an original 70s bass balls so I recognised the sound on this track as soon as I heard it. I still have the record but I have no idea what happened to the bass balls.

I'm using my fretless and a sansamp but not quite right. The bass sweeper might be fun, is that the Mooer?

You didn't happen to sell your Bass balls on here did you? I'm sure I got mine (a big old Russian one) from on here a few years back. 😃