Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite examples of: Wah, Envelope Filter and Synth pedal sounds on Bass?

Dood

For wah I'd say Michael Henderson on Miles Davis' On the Corner. I thought this was some sort of envelope filter at first, but apparently it's a wah with very good foot technique!

For envelope filter, Parliament's Chocolate City is a big favourite, and I think it's because of this that I won't even consider filter pedals without a reverse sweep mode.

Thinking about it further, I really can't come up with a favourite example of synth pedals on bass. There are keyboard synth or sequenced basslines that I love, but I feel like synth pedals are mostly a convenient means for a bass guitarist to imitate those live.

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Like 1

Flea’s line on ‘sir psycho sexy’ is a tone to chase:

and also an honorary mention to the wah solo on ‘Coffee Shop’:

and I’ve always been partial to Sleeper’s ‘Sale of the century’

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Think it was just the fx25 not the later 25b. I’ve had loads of fx25s and some of them sounded bang on but they vary a lot!

Yeah I got a regular fx25 and can’t seem to get great sounds from it.  Tried for ages and gave up.

7 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

Yeah I got a regular fx25 and can’t seem to get great sounds from it.  Tried for ages and gave up.

The best I found was the dark green sparkle version. With a limiter afterwards to stop it going too deep - and preferably in a loop with some clean blend. Oh and a volume boost too! But the FX25 has a unique squelch when the input overdrives the pedal which I love. Nearly everything else I’ve tried produces a nasty ‘whistle’ rather than a squelchy fart. 

I also found it sounded ace with one bass and terrible with others. Best with single pickup basses, and funnily enough works great with a stingray!

1 hour ago, ped said:

The best I found was the dark green sparkle version. With a limiter afterwards to stop it going too deep - and preferably in a loop with some clean blend. Oh and a volume boost too! But the FX25 has a unique squelch when the input overdrives the pedal which I love. Nearly everything else I’ve tried produces a nasty ‘whistle’ rather than a squelchy fart. 

I also found it sounded ace with one bass and terrible with others. Best with single pickup basses, and funnily enough works great with a stingray!

Yeah the limiter makes sense, I found it went off the cliff and and just drowned in noise before I got the tone.  Might dig it out again and try that method. 👍🏻

thanks man 

Edited by gt4ever
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, acidbass said:

Also there's definitely an envelope filter going on in Plug In Baby isn't there?

Probably the deep impact, or one of:

• Human Gear Animato Distortion
  • Boss OC-2 Octave
  • Electro-Harmonix Black Russian Big Muff
  • Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
  • Akai Deep Impact Synthesiser
  • Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler