Why become a member? ×

Fairy-soft strings for a wussy bass player

Guest MoJo

I don't play my bass as often as I once did and my fingertips are callus free. A recent 2 hour gig saw my current string of choice, Rotosound Stainless Roundwounds, leaving my baby-soft finger tips quite sore.

Could you recommend some less abrasive roundwounds that would be kind to my wussy fingertips?

Everyone is likely suggest their own favourite brand here.

My 2p on this would be to say I went through something similar after years of pick playing when I thought it was time to revisit fingerstyle again.

I ended up with Dunlop Superbright Nickels in 45-105.  Nickel wounds are much softer feeling anyway, and these particular ones are much more pliable too.  They also come in 40-100 for even more pliability..

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/jim-dunlop-super-bright-nickel-4-string-45-105-bass-guitar-strings-p8575

Edited by LewisK1975
  • Like 2

I would recommend low tension flats, such as Thomastik Infeld (mentioned above), D'Addario Chromes or Labella Low Tension (*not* normal Labellas).

I have tried all of those, and would recommend you made sure to at least hear what any set of strings you decide on sounds like, before buying. Best of all, play someone's bass that has them.

The TIs have a gorgeous, mellow sound, and a really soft feel under the fingertips. So soft, in fact, that sometimes they're simply not suitable to the kind of music you may be playing. D'Addario Chromes are my favourite strings, but they do have a bright, zingy sound that may not be your cup of tea. Labella Low Tension are as soft as D'Addarios but have a more traditional, less bright sound, while still producing a well defined sound on each note.

Also make sure you're not allergic to one or more of the metals and coatings used in whatever strings you decide to use, as that can make things worse when your fingertips are already under stress.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

I don’t use rounds at all , but when my Sandberg came from the factory it was fitted with their own 40-100 strings, and I was quite surprised how smooth and nice they were for rounds , and being light gauge they are  easy on the fingers , I would recommend them 🙂

• Like 1

Definitely Dunlop Super Bright Nickels, or Dr Sunbeams. Both very soft feel, but I would argue as bright sounding if not a little less harsh sounding than the Rotos. I made the change myself and wouldn't dream of going back...

Verrrrry similar tension and feel-wise. The DRs are almost twice the price but, for me, they last much longer and intonate much better (they're probably a bit better made).

Compared to steels, nickels will also save you having to get a refret in the near future too, so there's an additional saving!

• Like 1

Have a look at Newtone strings. The Platinum are very smooth with a softish feel.

On the website you can choose either steel or nickel with round or hexagonal cores, and they don't cost a lot either.

Edited by naxos10

On 10/02/2020 at 17:17, Reggaebass said:

I don’t use rounds at all , but when my Sandberg came from the factory it was fitted with their own 40-100 strings, and I was quite surprised how smooth and nice they were for rounds , and being light gauge they are  easy on the fingers , I would recommend them 🙂

Same here. Enough so that i bought more sets and put them on other basses i have that were previously fitted with D'addario nickels.

You could try elixir strings.

Dave

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 14:30, LewisK1975 said:

Everyone is likely suggest their own favourite brand here.

My 2p on this would be to say I went through something similar after years of pick playing when I thought it was time to revisit fingerstyle again.

I ended up with Dunlop Superbright Nickels in 45-105.  Nickel wounds are much softer feeling anyway, and these particular ones are much more pliable too.  They also come in 40-100 for even more pliability..

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/jim-dunlop-super-bright-nickel-4-string-45-105-bass-guitar-strings-p8575

I was going to suggest these, especially the. 100 -. 40 set. Great great tone, very feely goody, last ages and not expensive. 

Edited by miles'tone

I've used a lot of strings and I'd say Dunlop Super Brights are your friend. By far the softest stainless steels I've used. Try a lighter gauge if you can, it'll be easier/gentler on your hands further to this.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 15:30, BassApprentice said:

Do you need rounds for your style/preferred tone?

Could maybe look at the LaBella White Tapes - expensive but bright and super smooth.

These are the softest tension strings I've found (I have other basses with the Thomastik flats and Elixirs as they've both been mentioned). Sound great, too - far brighter and more full range than what I used to associate with nylon wrapped strings. I particularly like the copper ones. Good to be aware that with the wrap that the ferrous content is less so the output is lower (easily compensated with gain) and, as with most wrapped and coated strings, there can be ground buzz issues as the strings are effectively insulated from the bridge and you.