Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine - January 2020 "Fieldy" edition going spare?

Dood

Does anyone have a copy of this one they no longer need? It's for my scrap book! Writing for BGM is a bit of a dream come true for me, so I'd like to have a copy of my first "edition" as it were.

I am mega excited to have received the Bass Player equivalent this morning, which just blows my mind if I am honest - but the BGM is a biggy for me.

PM me or reply here :) 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Apologies! I meant which one is the US and which is the UK? I can never remember. I have the Fieldy one and wanted to help, but seems it's all been resolved now anyway. :D

Ahhh ha ha ha!

Ok, got ya! 

Bass Guitar Magazine is the UK version, Bass Player Magazine will of course thus be the US print.

25 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Apologies! I meant which one is the US and which is the UK? I can never remember. I have the Fieldy one and wanted to help, but seems it's all been resolved now anyway. :D

10 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

Happy you found a copy. Wish I could read it! Two of my three dogs destroyed that issue before I had a chance to read it.

Cosmo Valdemar, The Maartian. The Maartian, Cosmo Valdemar..  :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Fieldy is a very divisive player.

Tbh he was one of my first influences. I actually really like his percussive technique and think his tone really works in Korn, with that clinky treble overriding everything else, cutting through quite a thick mix. Probably one of the first bass players I ‘noticed’ along with Mike Porcaro 👍🏼

Just now, ped said:

Tbh he was one of my first influences. I actually really like his percussive technique and think his tone really works in Korn, with that clinky treble overriding everything else. Probably one of the first bass players I ‘noticed’ along with Mike Porcaro 👍🏼

I always found it to be irritating beyond belief - I was a young metalhead at the time, and Fieldy's tone was the antithesis of what I considered to be a good metal bass tone.

However, having heard it live, it finally made sense. It didn't turn me into a Korn fan though 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I always found it to be irritating beyond belief - I was a young metalhead at the time, and Fieldy's tone was the antithesis of what I considered to be a good metal bass tone.

However, having heard it live, it finally made sense. It didn't turn me into a Korn fan though 🤣

I used to crank up the little vocal/bass solo bridge in ‘Freak On a Leash’ all the time. I used to wonder how he got that sound. But then at the same time I’d go nuts for some grand funk railroad. It was a confusing time with hair growing in new places and I didn’t have Basschat to turn to so I had to kill/downtune to A to satisfy my internal demons. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dood said:

Ahhh ha ha ha!

Ok, got ya! 

Bass Guitar Magazine is the UK version, Bass Player Magazine will of course thus be the US print.

Are they the same apart from the magazine title on the cover? As a UK subscriber to what used to be the US Bass Player, it now seems like I get a UK magazine with a US title shipped back to the UK.

19 hours ago, Dood said:

Does anyone have a copy of this one they no longer need? It's for my scrap book! Writing for BGM is a bit of a dream come true for me, so I'd like to have a copy of my first "edition" as it were.

I am mega excited to have received the Bass Player equivalent this morning, which just blows my mind if I am honest - but the BGM is a biggy for me.

Dood, many congratulations on your writing gig. That first appearance in a dream publication means a great deal.

Unsolicited suggestion offered in good faith: I might have missed a detail, and different publications/fields have different conventions, but I should have thought that the magazine would send you at least one author's copy gratis. If not, or if one isn't enough, I don't think it's out of line to request from the publisher a couple of copies of each issue in which you appear. Apart from anything else, it's legitimate to have it for your records (and very important in the event of any legal or tax problems).

I enjoyed your video reviews, by the way. Very effective and engaging.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Me too. Writing reviews is much less effective with tonal descriptions very personal and not nearly so useful as hearing an instrument - even without hi-fi audio. 'Buttery' anyone? This happened with Ed Friedland too who did good video reviews then went back to print (for a while). @Dood - hope you manage to continue a video review output.

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Dood, many congratulations on your writing gig. That first appearance in a dream publication means a great deal.

Unsolicited suggestion offered in good faith: I might have missed a detail, and different publications/fields have different conventions, but I should have thought that the magazine would send you at least one author's copy gratis. If not, or if one isn't enough, I don't think it's out of line to request from the publisher a couple of copies of each issue in which you appear. Apart from anything else, it's legitimate to have it for your records (and very important in the event of any legal or tax problems).

Thank you very much indeed! Yup, Even when I was a kid I’d day-dream about being an artist in my favourite magazine. (My Dad used to subscribe me to Guitarist Magazine when I was a teen). I’d never guess that I’d actually be writing for the magazine! So yes,  it does mean a huge amount to me. I just hope I do a good job!!!,

Thank you for the suggestion and actually you are spot on, Joel my editor has been fantastic. It was he who sent over the BPM edition as it happens. It was just on this occasion, as I asked long after the Jan issue was out (released in December) that I was unable to grab a fresh copy off the press at the time. That’s really no problem at all. I didn’t want to hassle for a copy, the team are incredibly busy, all the time :) BC has come to my rescue which is just wonderful!

Thank you again, I love doing video reviews and I am pleased to say that I continue to be the bass section of Guitar Interactive Magazine too. Those videos will continue!!!, Please keep sharing the links and review videos!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, visog said:

Me too. Writing reviews is much less effective with tonal descriptions very personal and not nearly so useful as hearing an instrument - even without hi-fi audio. 'Buttery' anyone? This happened with Ed Friedland too who did good video reviews then went back to print (for a while). @Dood - hope you manage to continue a video review output.

Yes! Yes! You will be very pleased to hear that I will absolutely be continuing to be the bass department in Guitar Interactive Magazine! The videos and features will continue!

I’ve shot over 350 videos for the magazine now, most do find their way on to YouTube, but the best place to read the entire reviews as usual is via the GuitarInteractiveMagazine.com website where the current and nearly all of the back issues are available to read (and watch) online.. and is absolutely free to do so!

There should be a link in my signature to go straight there.

I will also be making myself available soon to shoot independent video for product releases, reviews and demonstrations, so when that is all set up (soon) expect to see more of the same!

If anyone knows of companies looking for this type of presentation, then do forward on my interest or share my contact details!

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Yes! Yes! You will be very pleased to hear that I will absolutely be continuing to be the bass department in Guitar Interactive Magazine! The videos and features will continue!

This is great news. You do my favourite online reviews, Dan.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 10:43, Dood said:

PM me or reply here :) 

Lord knows we've tried to get you on board enough times...! Love your work! ;)

On 10/02/2020 at 15:49, Cestrian said:

Mate, I’ve got it. PM with your address and I’ll post it. 

Arrived safely and well packaged for shipping! Thank you so very much! Expect pictures on social media soon!!

CHEERS!

22 hours ago, Mike Brooks said:

Lord knows we've tried to get you on board enough times...! Love your work! ;)

Yup, that is true. I know that you have certainly been instrumental in getting me on board too! I'm pleased that the planets aligned eventually as I always wanted to be in some way part of BGM! Now I'm in BGM AND Bass Player Mag - I bought pretty much every copy for years including the very first edition. Unfortunately, I cut it up to make posters out of it. Kicking myself now, so, if anyone has a copy of that too I would be delighted to source one!