Why become a member? ×

Squiers...the bass of the moment

Guest MoJo

I've noticed thread after thread recently where the Squier name has cropped up time after time, particularly the Classic Vibe series. They seem to be the 'bass of the moment' rather like Fender Precisions were a few months back when everyone seemed to want one (myself included) and the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz before that. It didn't take long before the VMJ's started to appear on the 'For Sale' forum. Now the Precisions are appearing on there with amazing regularity (even the Beedster is selling his last one). With everyone being advised to buy the Classic Vibe Series, I'm looking forward to a glut of them appearing up-for-grabs later this year for little over a ton! Just in time to treat myself for Christmas. ;)

I think that's got something to do with the exchange rate at the moment. I've been looking at buying a SVT3 pro and they've went up a few hundred pound in the last couple of months too.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='401381' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:07 PM']only trouble is they are not so cheap anymore.fender have put prices up twice in the last 2 or 3months.[/quote]

They keep cropping up (as to mentions of the VMJ) because for the money, they're seriously good basses. They're still limited by what they are though, passive jazzes/p's but as a backup or even a main, they're worth it. I think the glut of them appearing 6 months later is the people who buy them to try them out for various reasons, and rather than having a place for the bass they're surplus...and get moved on when cash is needed or gas for something else comes up.

I'm hanging onto my VMJ still, for the time being at least.

[quote name='markytbass' post='401572' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:16 PM']I have a VMJ with a Mighty Mite neck and it's alot of bass for what I paid. I was very impressed with the Classic Vibe Jazz that they had (for a short while) in my local shop. I'd like to try the Precision basses but they don't tend to hang around on the shelf for long.[/quote]
the 60's cv p-basses seem the most popular.they were £259 at pmt now the new stock is priced at £299.i suppose they are still VFM.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='399870' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:20 PM']everyone being advised to buy the Classic Vibe Series, I'm looking forward to a glut of them appearing up-for-grabs later this year for little over a ton![/quote]

I was considering spending some of my spare GAS cash on one of those, but that sounds like a good plan! ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='401589' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:30 PM']I just bought a squier and its the best bass ive ever played i am thinking.
OK it is an early fender logoed JV P bass but still....[/quote]

The early Japanese Squiers and Fenders were generally considered better in most ways than the equivalent American instruments at the time. My only bass at the moment is a modded JV Precision and yeah, it's a really nice bass (and it's had 25 years of patina and ageing to give it that vintage character - 20 of those years with me!).

Yes, all these things go in cycles, but the Classic Vibes are really good. I can't honestly find anything wrong with them at all. The Sonic Blue 60's Precision I have honestly plays and sounds better the 08 American Standard Precision I had last year. (I only traded the 08 to get my hands on one of my 5-string Status S2's as well!)

Personally, yes I think it's great to see such a well equipped and well made series of basses at such a cheap price.

Yes, they will all end up on the for sale forum at some point, but at the moment, they're hard to beat for the money. Until the next thing comes along!

Rich.

[quote name='Tinman' post='402284' date='Feb 6 2009, 07:17 PM']Got me some serious interest in either a VMJ or a Classic Vibe Jazz. Trouble is, being stuck in the wilds of Lincolnshire, I have little access to decent music shops where I could try them.

Which of the two would you advise I went for and why?

Ta

Pete[/quote]

As a VMJ owner, unless you want the quite frankly lovely maple neck and body, I'd go with the Classic Vibe on specs, mostly because it comes with a synthetic bone nut, the HMV bridge, and you might prefer the pup's sound as the VMJ is quite dark sounding imo.
However, it does lack the brilliant satin neck of the VMJ (could be replicated by wirewooling the gloss neck though), and the hardware on the VMJ has been doing the rounds for years as it's standard mexi jazz fair (normal bent tin and plastic nut).

Probably a try before you buy one chap.

[quote name='Buzz' post='402312' date='Feb 6 2009, 07:45 PM']As a VMJ owner, unless you want the quite frankly lovely maple neck and body, I'd go with the Classic Vibe on specs, mostly because it comes with a synthetic bone nut, the HMV bridge, and you might prefer the pup's sound as the VMJ is quite dark sounding imo.
However, it does lack the brilliant satin neck of the VMJ (could be replicated by wirewooling the gloss neck though), and the hardware on the VMJ has been doing the rounds for years as it's standard mexi jazz fair (normal bent tin and plastic nut).

Probably a try before you buy one chap.[/quote]
Thanks for the info Buzz. ;) As I said, trying one is going to be a real problem. Lincolnshire has to be one of the worst counties in England for music shops :P

• 2 months later...

@Tinman

I have the same problem (live in Louth), but pools music in Grimsby have a white classic vibe jazz in at the moment. I went in and had a go on it a couple of weekends ago.

Might still be there?

As for the fretless VMJ, they have one in music rooms in Lincoln. They are really nice to play. I've just remembered, they have a classic vibe in aswell....

I am torn between the two. I prefer the feel of the fretless VMJ, but don't want a fretless neck, so wil probably go in the middle and get the natural wood VMJ (as it still has the duncan designed pickups on it)

Well I just got a 2nd hand fretless VMJ from Uzzell and its the nicest Fender/Squier I've ever had the pleasure to play.

I'm no Fender fanboy or expert, but I am staggered at the quality and feel of this instrument for the price.

They are VERY low output though (even for a passive bass I think)

I have a VMJ fretless and it's amazing for the money. Was wondering about specs of the VM and CV series jazz basses, so did this....

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass® spec versus Classic Vibe Jazz Bass® '60s
Same spec:
[list]
[*]Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
[*]Pickup Switching: None
[*]Machine Heads: Standard Open-Gear Tuners
[*]Hardware: Chrome
[*]Scale Length: 34" (864 mm) Width at Nut:1.50" (38 mm)
[*]Strings: Fender Super 7250ML, P/N 073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
[*]Accessories: None
[/list]
Different spec: VMS then CVS Jazz
[list]
[*]Neck: Maple C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish) | Maple Modern C Shape, (Gloss Polyester Finish)
[*]No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo | 20 Vintage Style Frets
[*]Colors: (521) Natural (Polyurethane Finish) | (505) Olympic White (Gloss Polyester Finish)
[*]Body: Soft Maple | Basswood
[*]Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5" Radius (241 mm) | Rosewood, 9.5" Radius (241 mm)
[*]Pickups (VMJ): 2 Duncan Designed JB101 Single-Coil Jazz Bass® Pickups AlNiCo 5 Magnets
[*]Pickups (CVS): 2 Custom Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups with AlNiCo 5 Magnets (Mid & Bridge)
[*]Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle | 4-Saddle HiMass Bridge with Brass Saddles
[*]Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black | 3-Ply Tortoise Shell
[*]Unique Features (VMJ): Black Bound Fingerboard with Black Block Position Inlays, Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs
[*]Unique Features (CVS): Vintage Styling, Tinted Neck, Vintage Style Chrome Control Plate, Black Jazz Bass Control Knobs, Gold Squier Logo, Thumbrest, Synthetic Bone Nut
[*]Introduced: Jul-2006 | Jun-2008
[/list]