Why become a member? ×

Replacements for small Bartolini 5-string pickups

BassAgent

As you may or may not know, I own this gorgeous De Gier Origin fretless. It sounds absolutely amazing, but it has a big problem, which made me put it up for sale: the output is very, véry low. I took it to a gig when I first got it and compared to my '71 Precision the output is amazingly low, same goes for all my other basses. 
I really don't want to sell it but I feel forced to. Unless there is a solution: get some other electronics. It has the Bartolini Classic Dual Coil pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. I have very good experiences with Aguilar preamps so no worries there. Then there's the pickups: you'd think "just get yourself some decent 5-string, high output pickups and that's the end of it" but there's a catch: the pickups are relatively small. The bridge pickup is 93 mm (3.66"), neck pickup is 91 mm (3.58"). I am a pretty decent googler but I couldn't find any 5-string pickups that match the size of these.

Does anyone have a solution? I don't want to go gigging with extra preamps.

IMG_0124.jpg

Edited by BassAgent

Well, the first question is, that is the pickup height adjusted up high? Every fraction of an inch means a lot here. Magnetic forces change to the third power vs. distance. If you are able to raise both pickups, the output is changed.

Press the strings to the frets at 20th (24th, whatever is the highest) and check the clearance to minimum so, that the strings do not touch the pickups while playing. Trial is easy and the balance between pickups or strings needs just some turns of a (quality) screwdriver.

• 2 weeks later...