Why become a member? ×

Burke Shelley ill health

rubis

Very sad to read this. I was never what you might call a fan of Budgie, but was aware of them, and they still crop up on those late night compilation programmes. 

He seems a very decent and philosophical bloke, I hope things improve for him. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/singer-of-70s-rock-legends-budgie-says-hes-suffering-from-a-life-threatening-condition/ar-BBZOjhn?ocid=spartandhp

• Sad 3

Sad news, but he seems philosophical and fairly serene about it.

I saw him with the final version of Budgie in what must have been the last UK tour.

He was still whippet-thin and playing what looked like the same Precision I first saw him with in 1973. The only real change was his hair, he had it cropped short. Great gig, like being in the grip of a tyrefitter's hand.

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear this sad news.
I was never particularly a Budgie fan, but well aware of the bands and musicians they influenced.

I was playing an open mic night in Cardiff a couple of years back, with a singer-guitarist pal and our mate who's a drummer
It went pretty well, and our singer went & sat down next to an old bloke sat watching us, started chatting away. Turns out, it was Burke, and I hadn't recognised him

He said "well played lads" "Really enjoyed your mini set". We had a chat, and our guitarist had actually played with him several times before
Burke was a really decent sort of guy - not at all a sufferer of "rock star syndrome", no sense of self importance or ego
Hope he carries on for as long as possible - really hope he can get chance to record those unheard Budgie songs 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rubis said:

Very sad to read this. I was never what you might call a fan of Budgie, but was aware of them, and they still crop up on those late night compilation programmes. 

He seems a very decent and philosophical bloke, I hope things improve for him. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/singer-of-70s-rock-legends-budgie-says-hes-suffering-from-a-life-threatening-condition/ar-BBZOjhn?ocid=spartandhp

Ah, sad news. I've always loved Budgie. So glad I got to see them a few times with the revolving door of guitar players they had toward the end!

It's comforting to read him taking it so calmly. And that's quite a magnificent beard he's got himself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul S said:

Happy memories of bouncing up and down to Zoom Club back in the day, saw them a number of times early-mid 70s.  To exit on your own terms is great, I think.

Yes, I quite agree, his attitude reminded me of Wilco Johnson when faced with similar prognosis, and I greatly respect his mettle. I really hope he shares some of Wilco's luck, and has a new lease of life.

I notice, whenever his name, or that of Budgie, crops up in these pages, he commands a lot of respect 

• Like 2

I have mentioned My love for Budgie and Burke Shelley in particular on here many times over the years.

I first saw them in1973 and bought all their albums for many years...lost track a bit in the '90s and didn't keep up with collecting their releases but always loved to hear from them.

Good luck Mr Shelley, thank you for the music and more importantly, thank you for inspiring me to play bass.....

You will always be my hero.

• Like 3