Why become a member? ×

Wilcock Basses

TheGreek

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2022 at 05:24, Owno said:

The Wilcock basses look absolutely stunning. How do they compare to Sereks? Does anyone have a Mullarkey for sale, by any chance? 

I won't sell mine, but I much prefer it to the Serek, which is nice too. When I bought the Wilcock the bass was pretty unknown (I think I posted about it here) and I got a good deal on a Mullarkey made for me. I found the build quality and tone superior to Serek, but the Serek I played felt more like a rocker's short scale bass and the Mullarkey screams R&B/Funk/Deep house/Jazz fusion. The best way to explain it, is that it is a deeper, richer P Bass. I just did a session yesterday and recorded both (both have flats btw). The P Bass has that classic woody sound we all know, but the interesting part is the closest I can get to it on the Mullarkey is the back pickup. That's how insanely deep the bass sounds. The back pickup is probably my favorite of all time for getting that clarity plus rich depth. The front pickup is just a monster so if you play Reggae/R&B style and want a giant huge thud - it is the king there.

Its just a fantastic bass and I am really glad I got mine before they got more popular, as I imagine the wait times are pretty long now with more and more famous bassists using them.

So yeah, if you like really deep sounds and notes that still have good definition and a nice sophistication to them - go Mullarkey. If you are more of a rocker who likes to turn up the grind a bit, I think the Serek makes more sense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGhostofJaco said:

I won't sell mine, but I much prefer it to the Serek, which is nice too. When I bought the Wilcock the bass was pretty unknown (I think I posted about it here) and I got a good deal on a Mullarkey made for me. I found the build quality and tone superior to Serek, but the Serek I played felt more like a rocker's short scale bass and the Mullarkey screams R&B/Funk/Deep house/Jazz fusion. The best way to explain it, is that it is a deeper, richer P Bass. I just did a session yesterday and recorded both (both have flats btw). The P Bass has that classic woody sound we all know, but the interesting part is the closest I can get to it on the Mullarkey is the back pickup. That's how insanely deep the bass sounds. The back pickup is probably my favorite of all time for getting that clarity plus rich depth. The front pickup is just a monster so if you play Reggae/R&B style and want a giant huge thud - it is the king there.

Its just a fantastic bass and I am really glad I got mine before they got more popular, as I imagine the wait times are pretty long now with more and more famous bassists using them.

So yeah, if you like really deep sounds and notes that still have good definition and a nice sophistication to them - go Mullarkey. If you are more of a rocker who likes to turn up the grind a bit, I think the Serek makes more sense.

Thanks for sharing your views on the Mullarkey, TheGhostofJaco! It sounds like a Mullarkey would be a perfect complement to my Serek Midwestern (which sound like any  other woody P-bass with the Novak Bisonic). I'll wait until one becomes available through the classifieds as I can't stand waiting another year for a bass (as I already have done with the Serek)!

• Like 1

I'd certainly agree with TheGhostofJaco's assessment of the Mullarkey pickups - the bridge pickup is fairly P-like and has a great deal of clarity but also a great deal of complexity and richness.  It sounds big - and certainly captures a lot of the string and a lot of the note.  In some respects reminiscent of an Alembic single coil.  I thought I'd find myself using the 'both' pickup selection but don't.  Most of the time I use the bridge only.  The neck pickup is a monster and has the same dynamic range and fullness as the bridge, though given its positioning, provides a more traditional/vintage tone to my ears - not something that I really use.  On conception, materials, execution and build-quality - just superb basses in every respect.  As good as anything that you'll find from any other top UK luthier and at a much more reasonable price-point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I played a couple at the bass gallery over the years. Always sound and feel spectacular. Think in my mind I always thought I’ll find one used.. never seems to happen!! Plus price have slowly creeped up with inflation over last couple years. Used to be in the £1600-700 range- last I checked gone to £2150-2250 mark. For a handmade instrument I suppose pretty reasonable.