Why become a member? ×

SVT 7 Pro endless issues

dave74200

Hi all. I bought a 7 Pro about 3 years ago and love the tone. The issue is, I’ve had endless problems with it and am now sick of it. In 2018 after continued cutting out I sent it to surrey Amps who fixed it for £190. Then it began doing the same thing a year later, in 2019. I sent it back to them and they said it was a different problem and charged me another £180 to fix it. Now, roughly 7 months later it’s started cutting out again! 

What do I do? Spend another £200 on an amp that’s gonna crap out every year? I think Ampeg is now owned by Wetherspoons so probably won’t get much sense from them. I’m really fed up and at a loss of what to do. Send back to Surrey amps again, sell it for spare or repair it try to contact Ampeg?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers! 

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

That’s unacceptable. If Ampeg are being unhelpful, hammer them and whoever you bought it from on social media (if they have any). 

Benefit of hindsight and all that, but did you contact them after it wobbled the first time?

Hi mate. The person I bought it from or Ampeg?   Neither I’m afraid!

• 2 months later...

Can you tell us which revision the board is? You need to look on the board itself, inside the amp. The latest revision is revision H__. Those amps should have had all of the problems ironed out by now.  There’s a (like always) a mega thread on talkbass about this amp and the issues many people have experienced.

If you bought the amp second hand then I guess it’s more difficult to complain to someone.  The (mega) thread on Talkbass about this amp will give you all the info you need regarding possible problems and their solutions.

The best thing to do would be to have the amp at least looked at, and then see what’s happened to it?

I’d definitely ask Surrey Amps exactly what they fixed last time (if not on the invoice) and make sure they’re following the advice/standard repair procedure for this amp, again, that thread on TB will guide you. No point repeatedly replacing a component that’s part of a dodgy circuit as it will just go bang again in the future.