Why become a member? ×

New strings now buzz

Guest StephBass

Guest StephBass

Hi, I've just started playing my bass again after a few years break, so I decided to change my strings from innovation rock-a-billy set to some superior bassworks "guts". But now I have really bad fret buzz on the E string on the 1st and 2nd frets and on the G string 2nd fret. I'm just wondering how I can fix it? I'm guessing maybe my bridge is too low maybe? If it is too low do I have to buy a new bridge (which I don't really want to do to be honest). Or as I'm using the thinnest set of strings (bassworks come in packs of 6) swap out the G for thicker D string and swap the E for a thinner A string? But that means I have to buy another set of strings, any suggestions? 

You can try the bridge part of things by putting a sliver of card under the E foot, folded if you need extra height. If it works well you could replace it with a sliver of maple or similar,  or leave it for a few years as 'temporary'! (Never done that myself, oh no, never guv!)

A higher tension E will rattle less. Some folks mix sets to get their desired result. 

Try taking the frets out; that usually stops fret buzz 😁.

If that doesn't work ..... bridge too low or you have some fingerboard wear, ie string ruts or lateral dips where you play most often.  Getting a new and adjustable bridge is best for a new string height that can be fine tuned, whereas fingerboard wear will need the board "shooting" ie planing flat.

I'd have thought you'd want quite a high action for slappy rocky billy stuff .(??) though gut strings ( and softer strings in general ) need a higher action; it's usually us jazzers who are coasting the fine line between mwah and buzz .. hence adjustable bridges and high tension strings.

Guest StephBass

I was thinking I was probably have to get a new bridge, how do I fit one without the sound post falling down? I prefer to use a solid bridge, I think there better and more stable. Do I need to sand the feet or can I just leave them as they are and just sand the top of the bridge. Because I read somewhere that some people sand the feet for a better fit? Or can I just leave them as they are because they come slightly curved anyway? The last time I adjusted my bridge was about 9 years ago when I got the bass haha. I'd rather do the work myself my bass is only from gear 4 music so not worth the expense of paying someone (plus theirs non in my area) any tip or advice? My action is about 8-10?

I've had the bridge off my bass and my cello without the sound post falling down .. but it's a risk.

I used to feel the same about adjustable bridges, but everyone in the know says they are exactly like solid bridges and pretty much all jazz players use them.

Fitting a bridge is usually considered a skilled job; but, I have done it on my cello ( not as well as the pro who did it next ).  You have to lay glass paper ( rough side up!) On your bass, then scrub the bridge back and forth ( for hours ) until the curve of the feet matches that of the bass.  Professionals will preshape the feet with a chisel and only sand the last few mm.  there used to be self fitting bridges ( de Jacques) which have flexible hinged feet .. popular with schools, not great but easier to fit...not seen one for years.

Of course all this effort will be wasted if your fingerboard is worn!!!!

Go see a luthier, you'll get some free advice anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Self adjusting bridges; still out there.  As a minimum you just need to saw the top profile to get the right action and shape to match the curve of your fingerboard (though a bit higher action for the lower strings)

https://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/products/stringed-instruments-violin/parts-and-accessories/bridges/double-bass/adjustable-bridges/aubert-double-bass-bridge-with-adjustable-feet-15041425638317/

Probably awful, but better than a bent bridge (or no bridge at all).

Looking at what a top pro double bass mender would do ... it's definitely a skilled job involving not only shaping the feet and cutting the top but also re-carving lots of the bridge blank to minimise the mass ... but what the hell, most of us would never hear or feel the difference.